Advice please!! 9 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've been taking Citalopram for 9 weeks now and I'm still not seeing any improvement. If anything I feel like I'm getting worse. I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with It at all. I upped my dose about 4 days ago to 30mg. Starting to think that this isn't the right medication. If it is too early to see how long do you think I should give it until I start to think about trying a different medication?

Im just so sick of being so miserable and anxious all the time. Would really appreciate any advice. X

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stay with it they will work ..i was on these 7 years and came off them worst thing I did .

It takes time but there very good .

• Posted

Hi have you had any improvement? I feel the same but on 20mg.
    • Posted

Hi Neil,

How long have you been on them for?

First 2 weeks of taking Citalopram I started off on 10mg and then upped to 20mg for about 6 weeks. Still saw no improvement at all, if anything felt as though I was continueing to get worse.

My doctor told me to up my dose to 30mg and then a week later to 40mg. Been on 40mg for nearly 3 weeks now. I'd say these past couple of weeks I've slowly started to see some improvement. I've even had a few days where I'd say I've actually felt quite good!

I do feel like I'm going down hill again these past few days , but reading through these posts has made me realise that's it's completely normal! Blips and downs are to be expected. Been on citalopram coming up to 12 weeks now and only just started to see some kind of improvement!

How are you feeling now?

Mia x

• Posted

Hi mia

I was on 10mg for a few years. Then it just stopped working...due to increased stress i think.

I've been on 20mg for just over 4 weeks.

• Posted

But you will get worse as you make an increase. You have to stick on them quite a while to check their efficacy before you think of increasing again....when you may get worse again! Increasing the dose isn't always the answer . It takes time

i am on week 14 1/2

Had a blip yesterday. I thought goodness hope am not going to revert to base again! 

Worked through  it . Went to the gym. Meditated was Mindful.....

• Posted

Hi how are you feeling now? You must be about 3 months by now.?

Shane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.