Advice please! Can blood test be more or less ok but still have serious liver problems?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m 32 and I have always been a pretty heavy drinker but things have increased the last few months after hearing my dad has terminal cancer. I know I have been drinking a stupid amount almost daily and have stopped as of about a week ago as I’m so worried about my health. I also take tramadol daily from an injury. 

I had pain around my kidneys firstly and went to the docs. She ran bloods and checked my kidney and liver. I’m not exactly sure what tests were ran. She said everything is fine only one liver test was only slightly raised.

I now have no appetite and constant pain in my back right near my liver. It hurts to bend a push that area. 

Could something be wrong with my liver or would it have shown in the test?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes  is possible to have blood tests that don't show much up, but still have problems. The 'no appetite' is usually a sign that there may be problems. You don't say how much you drink daily or for how long. An abdominal ultrasound is the only way to tell for certain.

• Posted

Have some more tests before you start to worry. Drinking alcohol though damages liver in 100% cases but here time is a factor. It is possible that your liver might be fine.
  • Posted

It would be unusual to see advanced disease at your age, but all heavy drinking will result in fatty liver which should resolve well through a little clean living.  Fatty liver can push the lower ribs outward, torquing the spine and causing pain.  I've had this myself back in my drinking days.  

Anorexia (no appetite) is quite common during alcohol recovery in previously heavy drinkers.  This should pass within a month or so.  

A lot of prescription meds (Tramadol) and even over the counter pain meds can be a bad mix with alcohol.  I would avoid alcohol for as long as I was on these; particularly if I was prone to slipping into heavy consumption.  

I wouldn't worry about extensive damage at this stage of the game.  Most X-Drinkers do remarkably well when they clean up at the first sign of trouble.  Folks with a history of heavy drinking do tend to relapse though, & this is when you have to be strong.  If you do find yourself testing the waters again, some "new rules" for drinking might be in order.  A few light beers during the evening on weekends once you've recovered from your current malaise might work, but if you find yourself back in the deep end of the pool, you need to have a plan to get healthy for the long haul.  

• Posted

I suggest you go back to your doctor and discuss how you are feeling and also not drinking any alcohol and giving your liver a rest would is a positive thing to do.Sorry to hear about your Dad it is a very stressful time for you but alcohol is not the answer .Please go and get some help.take care of yourself.
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies everyone. I had an ultrasound and everything is fine. Not sure what is causing my pain but this has been a big wake up call. BillinSD I’m sure you are correct, I believe my loss of appetite is due to stopping drinking.

I’m sure my body isn’t coping with the misuse. Time to turn things around!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.