Advice please. Can stress hove a higher reading in a non diabetic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello.

I suffer with Ibs which has been bad the past few weeks. The only way I get some relief is to take immodium! I've been getting yellow diarrhoea (sorry to gross you out). I've been extremely stressed and suffering with my anxietythe last few months.. I've been so tired which I've put down to the constant toilet issues. Yesterday before my tea I felt shaky and weak. I'd not been the loo in over 24 hours (no2) so wasn't tired due to that. I'd been very anxious all day though and had a panic attack. I decided to take my blood sugar as and was Suprised it was 6!this was before eating. I had my food then tested after 2 hours and it was 7.8. I don't know if this is normal for me. When I bought the monitor about a year ago I'm usually 5.4 before food but never tested after food as I was reassured by the reading. So my question is... Can stress in a non diabetic cause higher reading's? I've ran out of strips to test myself. I did test myself on my dad's this morning before food which read 6.3!!! I felt sick and nervous before taking it as I'm now stressing about having diabetes. My worry is that I have a problem with my pancreas with all the diarrhoea and tummy troubles I'm having. I had liver blood test about a month ago which were fine. The only real symptoms I have related to diabetes is tiredness and larger amounts of urine. I'm drinking more, not due to being thirsty but due to the worry of getting dehydrated from the diarrhoea. I can have it 6 times a day! It's usually bad in the morning when my anxiety is at its worst. I've been the docs so much with my anxiety and ibs that I'm now reluctant to go about this. I'm going to monitor it at home when I get the strips but just wanted to know if stress will make it rise as I'm now anxious about taking the test.

I'm 36 and not over weight.

Sarah.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Your readings are fine so I would not worry about it at the moment.

Sarah

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Would you say the morning reading is normal at 6.3?

Sarah

• Posted

Yes stress can raise your BG readings, I presume for everyone.

?How is it you're even taking your BG readings, if you're not diabetic?

• Posted

I bought a cheap monitor a year back as I can get shaky before I eat. It was always fine. Around 5.4 in the morning. The NHS say the readings are one thing but then have a link to the diabetic UK site that say different. It's very confusing. My dad has type 2 but he is over weight and has health problems. Should get some more testing strips Monday

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Your readings should be between 4 and 7.  If you test a couple of hours or so after eating a large meal with carbohydrates this will be higher.

it is best to check readings at different times each day for a week or so and then take an average, that is what I was advised to do. I too find it really annoying when yu get contradictory advice from different sources.

Sarah

• Posted

If you are shaky before you eat, that's not good.  At 5.4 that should be a normal number pre-meal.  But there are other things besides blood sugar - there are electrolytes, sodium, potassium, calcium.  If you're having a lot of bathroom trips, these could be the problem.  Could be high depending on what you eat, but more likely low.  Best to have a doctor check of course, I'm not sure if there's an easy home test (and if there is I should get some!).

• Posted

Thank you. Will check it when I geti strips . Yes it's very annoying. Why can't they all just agree on the same number!

Thank you for the replies

Sarah

• Posted

I've always been like that. I do suffer with low iron and b12 at times so might be worth another trip to the doctors.

Thank you

• Posted

Yes, I think it is time to get to the Drs. Please tell your Dr how much you suffer with anxiety, he will be able to help you feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.