Advice please - coming off 37.5mg Venlafaxine / Effexor

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have been on Venlafaxine for about 9 years for anxiety and panic disorder. I was only ever on 75mg but it was the only thing that help stabalise my mental health. When I was pregnant 6 years ago I tapered to 37.5mg p/day which was horrible and when i was pregant again 4 years ago, I didn't change it. 

I have been feeling for the last couple of years much less anxious and more able to cope with things, therefore I've been wanting to come off these for a while. I noticed that if I missed a dose I would really suffer for it the next day, causing panic if I had run out or something. Anyway, things in my life are positive and I feel now is a good time to try and get off completely. 

Thing is, I have been halving my 37.5mg pills for a few weeks and that's been good, but I can't do less than that without horrendous side effects. I don't want to go back to the anxiety I experienced in the first place but I don't want to stay on hese forever either. 

I have tried a half pill one day and a quater pill the next for a week and just don't feel myself (dizzy, foggy brain, anxious, angry easily, nauseous etc.). I don't get capsules so can;t take"beads" out so I have to snap the pills in estimated halves/quarters. I felt so bad this morning I took the other quarter from last night. 

Docs keep saying "you're on such a low dose, just take one every other day and you'll be fine" but it's really hard even on such a low dose. 

Any advice greatly appreciated - I am weary of "bridging witg prozac" because I don't want to swap one drug to another. I am happy to try vegetarian diet, or detailed weaning plans, etc. 

Thanks in advance

1 like, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice. I am going power through but take it slowly. I may ask my Dr if they can precrbe capsules so I can take out a couple of beads at a time or something lik ethat so hopefully I notice the withdrawals less. It's so hard to decide if it's psychosomatic or not!
    • Posted

No piulls much better.  You can buy a pill cutter on line and it is easy to cut them into smaller and smaller pieces.  It is more accurate that way, and easier.
    • Posted

Hi ,I'm cutting down on venlafaxine capsules by taking out one tablet a time from the capsule,my Dr knows I am doing it this way,I was on 75mg ,I've just taken the second one out for about 2 weeks now, feel a bit flat but not too bad,now on 50mg,when I take the next one out which I won't for at least three months I will be on 37.5 and my doctor will then prescribe a 37.5 mg capsule,I will stay on that for a good few months then do the same with that capsule,much better this way,don't rush it

• Posted

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS smile

I've been trying to make some sence of my and others reactions here.

It seems that the withdrawl leaves the senses raw, but I've put it many ways in these forums - still like the one about the party and the music stops but everyone is still shouting.

I wish there was a type of forum where you could post comments in a totem pole style.

ie top is "first day" "Second day" etc etc

Reason is that you could see everyones comments and see a pattern that day 4 is being the worst of the first week. Someone is not affected because thay did xyz, and this may be the 'cure' smile

• Posted

It is just over a year since I withdrew.  I was on 150mg for 9 years.  It took me 10 months to withdraw but I did not get any withdrawal symptoms as I cut pills into smaller and smaller portions. 
    • Posted

My 37 mg run out this week and I sure am hoping to be done after going down from 15 to 75 and now this and doing like two weeks of on and then every other day and over this time period.  It has been a couple of months and may not be long enough yet but I will certainly try.

• Posted

Hi I'm on 37.5g every second day but can't seem to stop taking them as when I do I get severe side effects. You said you cut it down but by bit . Did you take one bead out of the capsule a day ? Any help you could give me would be great 😊

• Posted

Hi Alison, unfortunately my tablets weren't capsules but I took one every other day for some time before deciding to stop altogether.

Yes the side effects were awful but my GP signed me off work for 2 weeks to help. I also started taking omega 3 oils, vitamin c and vitamin B complex which helped with the side effects. By day 2 of taking the vitamins I felt 80% better. I've now been off the pills since November and it's the best thing I did.

Best of luck Hun x

• Posted

I bought a pill cutter on line and cut the pills into smaller and smaller doses.  I did this over many months.  I started at 150mg and when could only go down to 37.5mg in capsules, had tablets prescribed.  This way you can cut them up.  At the end I was taking a tiny amount on finger tip.  Cut tablets to 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8th etc.  That way you will reduced the amount really slowly.  I did not get any withdrawals doing it this way.  It did takje a long time but was worth it.  But I am lucky as do not have to pay for medication at my age.

I know some countries do not have pills and also price is prohibitive.  Good luck and hope you manage.

• Posted

Thank you for this. I do have a pill cutter but it's a bit rubbish and pretty inaccurate. I gather from everybody that it's not going be easy, but can be managed as best as possible by taking things really slowly. 

Thank you all & all the best

• Posted

The pill cutter I bought was really sharp.  I kept detailed notes of what amount I was taking daily.  No it is not easy, but if, like me, you are determined to succeed, you will. 

As I said I am elderly and I have been on anti depressants for many years.  Effexor is a very difficult medication to withdraw from with no symptoms, but I did it.  Slowly.  Please take heart, it can be done.  I am definitely not a strong person, and I think if an old dear like me can do it, well then, it is possible.  We have to have faith in ourself.

Good luck, and take care, and you will get there. 

• Posted

Hi I'm on the 37.5g but mine are capsules with beads in it could I just take out one or two beads a day ?

• Posted

Hi! I too am weaning from 37.5 mg of Effexor. I get the brain zaps after missing 1 dose. My Dr also, wants me to take 1 every other day to wran.

Well today, on my missed dose day, I decided to try half a xanex, just to see if it would help with my brain zaps and the "not feeling myself". I generaly take 1 xanex at bedtime only.

To my amazement the moment the xanex took effect, all symptoms were G.O.N.E. I was truly shocked. I know theres a large chance youve not got a script of xanex, but if so, i strongly suggest doing it, and to everyone out there with same delima. I am not a Dr, and most certaintly not diagnosing, nor suggesting anyone take xanex, but for ME, it was a lifesaver.

My effexor are the capsules, and my pharmacist suggested next month i have my dr write me for the pill form so i can physically half the pill, even quarter it, in tapering down. Great idea!

I think i will stick with what im doing and finish my taper.

By the way, Effexor takes away menepausal heat flashes like within a DAY! Id not read it, but was in heaven after i started them 2 yrs ago, and my flashes were completely gone. Why are you getting off Effexor? Im curiouse. I am because of reading theyre bad for you, but I cant find specifics? Im starting to rethink to stay on them. Its only anti depressant thats helped me. When weaning....the week i went down from 75mg to 37.5mg, my mood crashed! Would be greatful to hear YOUR reasons for going off these! Thank you, and good luck! Take care and you can get thru it!!!!!

Kim in Arkansas

• Posted

I want off of Effexor because it makes me sweat terribly...I am always hot...I don't even own a sweater because  can never wear one...I sweat from head to toe and found out it is a side effect of Effexor....

• Posted

I've been on this medication for 9 months. You said you came off of 75 mg, which is what I'm on. When you first started weaning off it, what dosage did you cut down to first? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.