Advice please - coming off 37.5mg Venlafaxine / Effexor

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have been on Venlafaxine for about 9 years for anxiety and panic disorder. I was only ever on 75mg but it was the only thing that help stabalise my mental health. When I was pregnant 6 years ago I tapered to 37.5mg p/day which was horrible and when i was pregant again 4 years ago, I didn't change it. 

I have been feeling for the last couple of years much less anxious and more able to cope with things, therefore I've been wanting to come off these for a while. I noticed that if I missed a dose I would really suffer for it the next day, causing panic if I had run out or something. Anyway, things in my life are positive and I feel now is a good time to try and get off completely. 

Thing is, I have been halving my 37.5mg pills for a few weeks and that's been good, but I can't do less than that without horrendous side effects. I don't want to go back to the anxiety I experienced in the first place but I don't want to stay on hese forever either. 

I have tried a half pill one day and a quater pill the next for a week and just don't feel myself (dizzy, foggy brain, anxious, angry easily, nauseous etc.). I don't get capsules so can;t take"beads" out so I have to snap the pills in estimated halves/quarters. I felt so bad this morning I took the other quarter from last night. 

Docs keep saying "you're on such a low dose, just take one every other day and you'll be fine" but it's really hard even on such a low dose. 

Any advice greatly appreciated - I am weary of "bridging witg prozac" because I don't want to swap one drug to another. I am happy to try vegetarian diet, or detailed weaning plans, etc. 

Thanks in advance

1 like, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi All, I take venlafaxine xr and it has the little pelllets-I think this could actually be a great way to taper the medication, but I am not sure what kind of item I could use to pour the contents of a capsule into that would give me a reliable measurement.  any thoughts?  
  • Posted

Hi daniobentley:

I was just browsing through the talkings and found out that you were pregnant when you were taking Vanlafaxine. I am wondering if your were worried that the baby would be effected when you were on the drugs? 

• Posted

Try 1500 mg of omega 3 a day and just try ride out the misery that’s what I’m doing. It’s hell tho and no one can understand ?? x

• Posted

Hi ,

I was on Effexor 150mg a day.for 8 years. I hated been on them and had two misscariages in a row while on them. I new the time had come that I had to come of them. I tappered down to 37.5mg. I did this by opening the capsules and reducing my dosage of beads everyday. I also took 3 omeaga fish oils a day. I am now seven months of Effexor and it is the best feeling in the world to not have to depend on a drug. I could never have come of Effexor without taking the omega b fish oils. I still take 3 a day. I am now 6 months pregnant with first baby. The doctors said there is no way of telling if my 2 misscarriages where defintyley caused by taking the effexor, however I feel it had a lot to do with it. So my advice would be tapper down slowly and take the omega b fish oils. smile good luck you can do it xxx

• Posted

Hi Alison!

How did you taper off from 37.5? I'm on 37.5 right now but I'm not sure how to go from here. Tried to reduce by one more bead every day (so one bead out on day one, two beads out on day two, etc.) but three days in I'm already feeling sad and down in the dumps. How did you go about it? Did you quit cold turkey?

Thank you!

Best wishes,

Élora

• Posted

Hi Elora

No I didn't stop cold turkey. I just kept going. I couldn't have done it without taking 3 omergan 3-6-9.they are fish oils. Are you taking these 😊

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Thank you for your response! I just got some Omega 3 fun oils from the health store yesterday so hopefully it’ll help! I’ve tried reducing by one head everyday for the past couple days but the emotional side effects were too strong, I felt like rubbish. Hopefully all the supplements I got yesterday will help! Fingers crossed! And congratulations on your pregnancy! 😁

• Posted

Hey Alison. Congratulations on getting on this horrible drug and being able to become pregnant! I hope all went well with the pregnancy smile I too have been on Effexor for a very long time and unsuccessfully couldn't get off of it years ago. I am 35 now and we did have a miscarriage in 2016. They called it a Blighted Ovum (there was no fetus visible but my body believed I was pregnant for 3 months). I am curious if this is the type of miscarriages you had previously? If you get this and feel comfortable answering this question it would be very much appreciated. Right now I am trying to wean off of 37.5 mg of Effexor. I am currently taking it every other day then my doctor wants me to do every 2 days, then 3, etc. So far having a very tough time but I know it will be worth it in the end. We are going to try to become pregnant again once I can get off of this awful drug!!

• Posted

Hi Elora

Sorry for the late reply. No I didn't quit cold turkey I just kept taking a bead out a day. But the omega fish oils helped significantly up to 3 a day. If someone had of told me that a fish oil would help with the horrid side effects that I had when coming off effexor I never would have believed them. It really did help me and I hope it helps you to 💛💛💛💛💛💛

• Posted

Hi Jilly

Sorry for the late reply. Just had my baby girl and she's perfect😊💛 My two missarriages where kind of similar to yourself. On both missarriages (I had 2) I lost them at six to eight weeks. I went the doctor and they said yes there is a faint pregnancy hormone there but they could never really confrim it. Until i bled and then they said they where miscarriages. Try the omega 3 fish oils they helped me significantly. They made the side effects bearable. Yes you will come off this drug and you will get pregnant on your beautiful baby.. I did it and so can you. Xxx

💛💛😊💛

• Posted

Hi, I recently got off ven too, I did it quickly with out the extremely side effect by swaping with prozac, and then with two weeks I stopped prozac completely too, the withrawl was definitely not horribly like missing a dose of ven. I still have residual side effect from taken like many, I've been of for almost three months now but I have problems with anger, I've never been like that before. And side effect developed during the time I was taking effexor, photosensitivety, ultra reactive fragile skin have no completely gone away, but hyperhidrosis subsided, having a drenched face in -45 weather was a common occurrence then (I will in Canada ). But now I have been experiencing heavy hair loss, my part are so wide, and volatile anger frustration problems. I'm so scared, but I can never go back on it. Effxor made my life hell on earth.

• Posted

Hello,

I realize that this is an old post but I wanted to comment.  I had similar difficulty withdrawing from Effexor years ago.  I had tried opening the capsules and counting out the tiny particles .... also tried every other day as you had mentioned.  At one point I decided just to deal with the lower dose... and the brain ‘shivers’ were horrible and unpredictable.  Occasionally I would go back to prior dose but eventually was able to begin skipping to every 2 days and then every 3 and ultimately just stopped and held on for the shivers.  Then when I was totally off of the drug I gained 30 lbs without doing a thing.  Finally went on a fasting diet and lost 25 lbs.  it is a long and painful journey but it is possible to kick the drug.  It just takes time !

• Posted

Hi Ive been on effexor xr. 37.5mg for 2 years after being on 75mg for 2 years prior. I have hurt my back this week and have been in incredible pain and have just forgotten to take the effexor for the last 5 days so thats it for me. No brain zaps but nausea and sweaty and tired. I put on 20kg with this drug within a short time so hoping I will lose the weight a bit easier now. Dr has told me at 37.5 it has a placebo effect but everytime ive missed a pill ive been so sick every other time. I am on diazepam and celebrex for my back so maybe this is counteracting the brain zaps with the diazepam. I hope I can do it this time as i feel after having cBT for pTSD that the only reason im on this drug is because its hell to come off. Drs dont get the withdrawal symptoms I have spoken to 6 Drs over 4 yrs and they all say I dont know how you can get off this or take every 2nd day and they have no idea that its not ideal. Most drs have said they have no information on withdrawing from this drug my trial with prozac bridging was unsuccessful as prozac makes me sweat even more and feel anxious. After reading the feed i will start fish oil and vitamin b and c and see if i can do this once and for all. I know the signs of when I may need some assistance regarding drugs but wonder if anyone has done st johns wort without having to go down the Dr prescribed track?

Wish me luck smile

• Posted

I recently quit taking effexor xr 75 which I was on for several years. I have always had trouble trying to go off of antidepressants. I have been on them for at least 10 years. I had terrible headaches after my last dose. I did taper off but the systems always start no matter if I taper off or not. I had the brain zaps too. I got some benadryl and fish oil tablets 1000 mg. I have been taking about 75 mg of benadryl 3 times a day, which I know makes most people drowsy but I am used to taking bendaryl from allergies, along with fish oil 1000mg 2-3 times per day. My headaches are gone for the most part accept for in the morning until I take the medicine. This is the best luck I have had with discontinuing antidepressants. I also drink a lot of water and stay away from my normal doses of caffeine. The point is to flush the medication out of your system. I hope this advice can help someone. Oh and as always a lot of prayers to God. He is amazing. Good luck, prayers, and God bless!!
    • Posted

I'm going to try this Julie. I've been drinking lots of coffee to help with my lethargy. I'm weaning from 150mg to 37.5mg every other day. Venlafaxine really really helped me but I've put so much weight on!! Thank you all for your advice.

• Posted

Sorry I just saw your reply. I am embarrassed by all of my typo errors in my response, but my smart phone is not always smart. Anyway, how is your weaning going? I am completely off of my venlafaxine for about a month or so. I cannot remember. I still take benadryl and fish oil which help the headaches in the morning. I have been taking Omega-3 from fish oil. I found some evidence that omega 3 helps with depression too. It helps the brain process the serotonin. I hope you are doing well with your withdrawal symptoms. Julie
    • Posted

I'm completely off it have been for a while I use Klonopin to get off. small doses of Klonopin. I'm supposed to take 1 mg Klonopin twice a day so I break them in half when I was on Effexor I took a half of one every now and then and they helped me quite a bit . Now I just have to work on getting off the Klonopin LOL but the Effexor was awful I will never take anything like that again ever

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.