advice please from our American friends

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am waiting for a tkr and am in horrible pain. I take 2x300 codeine with 2x paracetamol which doesn't really help. My daughter is visiting texas next week with work and suggested getting me some advil as she found it to be really effective. Do you think this is a good idea? We can't buy advil in the UK

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, go for it. I have just stating taking Aleve. The pharmacist said that these are easier than Advil. Check for interactions with others. If you have kidney problems you probably should avoid. And high bp too, just watch that, it might increase or decrease it. 
  • Posted

Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen - perhaps you can find that in your pharmacy? Both ibuprofen and naproxen sodium (Aleve here in US) are good anti- inflammatories. I just checked Boots UK website and UK brands for ibuprofen are Nurofen and Anadin but Boots does also sell a generic store brand.
  • Posted

I used to take Aleve and enjoyed that it was only every 12 hours.

If I remember correctly about combining painmeds...no, I don't want to chance memory on this advice, so I looked this up for you (http://www.safemedication.com/safemed/PharmacistsJournal/CanYouDoubleUponPainKillers): When talking about painkillers, it’s important to understand the difference among products. There are four main types of oral analgesics that are available without a prescription: naproxen (brand name Aleve), ibuprofen (brand names Advil and Motrin), aspirin, and acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol).

Naproxen and ibuprofen work in the body the same and have the same side effects. Ibuprofen is typically taken every 6-8 hours; naproxen is taken every 12 hours. Aspirin works a little differently than ibuprofen and naproxen but has very similar side effects. The usual dose of aspirin is 500-1,000 mg every 4-6 hours. Acetaminophen works a little differently than naproxen and ibuprofen, has different side effects, and can be taken every 6-8 hours.

You could take naproxen (Aleve) eight hours after taking ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or you could take ibuprofen 12 hours after taking naproxen. However, if you aren't getting adequate pain relief from ibuprofen within the eight-hour period, you could take acetaminophen (Tylenol). But you need to stay within the recommended dosage for all medicines. So, there are some options of what to look at while you wait for your TKR, just be careful.

• Posted

I would suggest you ask your GP if ibuprophen can be added to what you are already taking or what does s/he think about tramadol, there are stronger meds than you are taking at the moment. I would think taking meds withou you GPs advice is a bit risky.....good luck
  • Posted

I thought that advil contains asprin. I can't take ibuprofen as I've previously had stomcah ulcers and it causes me terrible pain. I have tried tramadol but it makes me ill which is why I take the codeine/paracetamol combo. I take dihydracodeine just before bed as it helps with the pain but also helps me sleep. I can't take it during the day as it pretty much knocks me out.
  • Posted

I just looked at the advil site and yeas it does contain ibuprofen and shouldn't be used if you've previously had stomach problems. So that's another idea out the window!

Thanks for your replies. Debxx

• Posted

Hi I would make every effort to get in touch with your anesthetist/ pain management team via your surgeon's office/secretary before you have your operation and get your  pain relief sorted out. I have to take Omeprazol in order to have the ibuprophen  also you can take anti nausea meds for any problems with morphine/tramadol you will only be taking these medicines for a relatively short time so these may work for you.
  • Posted

I take aleve which is just another brand. I take 2 every 12 hours for inflammation. Don't know which part of Texas she's going to but tell her to take rain gear. TX has bee getting pounded with rain and flooding this spring. They are getting a break right now but the humidity will be terrible. I'm 600 miles from Dallas and the heat is moving this way.
    • Posted

Aleve is a braid but doesn't contain ibuproprian.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.