Advice please from RA patients

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi there, I had my RA confirmed just last week. At the same appointment I was given a steroid injection to help ease my current debilitating symptoms. Three days later and I find my symptoms have improved but not completely disappeared, yet. I was given information leaflets on Sulphasalazine and Methotrexate. When I return in 3 weeks I will be started on which ever one I decide on.

I have been off work now for 7 weeks and am due to return next week. However, I find although I am desperate to get back to work and normality, I am worried that my symptoms will return and I would then have to go off on sick again which would count as another sick episode, something which HR don't take kindly to.

I am a nurse and work 12 and a half hour night shifts. Prior to this period of sick leave I was finding that half way through the shift my hands became inflamed and sore. .....this would lead to poor sleep the next day and then struggling (badly ) through the next nights shift. Got to the point I had to go off sick and now understand I have been having a bad flare. My bloods showed RF and CCP positive.

My question is, will the steroid injection keep me symptom free till I get started on the meds?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for listening!

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed in May last year, I take Mexotrate and Steroid tablets. Every time ai have tried to come off steroid tablets my excruciating pain comes back before I even come off them.  I reduce the steroid tablets down weekly from 8 to 0 but as soon as I get to 1 a day the pain returns.  I'm on 1 a day at the moment as I am due back to Consultant next week and he wants me off the steroids but the pain is killing me today and will do when I totally come off them on Thursday. In my opinion, methotrexate is doing no good at all, sulphazalazine did no good either. Steroid tablets are brilliant but they don't like you on them long term as they have many side effects. I am at my wits end after all this time so be patient as you will certainly need patience to get through this.

• Posted

When you say "8" and "1" - do you mean 8mg and 1mg or is tha the number of tablets you take?

• Posted

I start off on 8 tablets once a week and reduce every fortnight so 6 tablets after a fortnight then 4 tablets after another fortnight then 2 tablets but when I get down to 1 tablet I am in agony.  I have to be off steroids completely the week before I see the Consultant.
    • Posted

Is the rheumy 100% sure about your diagnosis? It almost sounds as if you have something called polymyalgia rheumatica - you can have both it and RA. 
  • Posted

Steroids only are generally used as "BNRIDGE THERAPY"  until the DMARDS kick in, or during an acute flair. If you know you have it-- start the DMARDS NOW!!! IT will get worse, and the sooner you start the better. For me, Sufasalazine does next to notheingm, and that's on top of 25. mg of Methotrexate. I

d suggest start with methotreexate as (in the US) youi have to fail at that before moving tonto any biologics, if you need ton .

Also, 122 hours in probably getting to be too much. I couln;t  even work 5 hoursnin a row any more , if i wanted to. I'MM TORED ALL THE TIME. 

BE CAREFUL. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF NOW!! 

This os a tough disease. I hate it-- but we have to love ourselfs and be good to ourselves. 

All the best of luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Barbara, i would start the methotrexate now if I could, but my next appointment isn't till another 3 weeks 🙈. I think I know deep down that 12 and 1/2 hour shifts are too long, I was struggling even before the intense pain started, it came from nowhere in the middle of a shift, no gradual build up, just....BANG !!

If I could be sure the injection would keep the symptoms at bay until I start the meds then I'd feel more confident about going back to work. ........I have a nagging feeling that's not gonna be the case? ??? Or maybe I'm just paranoid now.

I am 53 years old and NEVER had any kind of illness before (I don't even get colds! !), I am thinking maybe I'm in denial about the effects this is going to have , all I csn think of is just being painfree, back at work and carrying on as before. .......am I being naive? ? I've also read of many people 'getting their life back " .......i'm pinning all my hopes on this being the case once the meds kick in

Thank you everyone for taking the time to offer advice , it really is much appreciated

• Posted

Hi that's how I started, on my diagnosis day I was also given a steroid injection and oh my goodness all my pain disappeared the next day, they told he it would last 3 months and by that time the methotrexate should take over, i could only tolerate it for 6 weeks and sadly had to come off it as my enzymes were raised in my liver. I was off it a fortnight and the pain returned with a vengeance oh my goodness it was a bad time for me. A few weeks later the rheumatologist wanted to try me back on methotrexate I was dubious but he knows better than me I guess, before I left I had another steroid injection and again it worked a treat, that was the beginning of o Tiber and so far so good, I take 6 a week (15mg) and one 5mg folic acid each day apart from methotrexate day and it has helped me so much I just hope it continues

• Posted

Shirley, 6 a week of what? How many days do you take methotrexate?
    • Posted

Nosey here - 6 times 2.5mg tablets of methotrexate probably.
    • Posted

So glad to hear your doing well Shirley. ......that's exactly what i'm hoping for ! Long may it continue!

• Posted

Sorry that was in snswercto rayzors question
  • Posted

One more thpught about predisone to share. I uysed it A LOT. And it was a life saver-- until I got stuck at 10 mg for over 10 years. Everytime I tried to lower the doe, I flaired,. ThenmI was on a biologic that caused me to get so many upper repiratoruy infections (that I am prone to), due to my working with a lot of kids-- and then it started to make me deoressed-instantly. And, now, I can't tolerate it at all. The last time I took it for a flair, I becasme depressed again, after finally recovering. 

It is a mirsclke drug-- but I already have posteoporooisi, and  just jhad two cataract 

surgeries. 

Now-- you might get lucky and have an easy time. And a few weeks to wait for the MTX-isn;t si bad. 

Good Luck.

• Posted

I dont think you are in the US.    I worked 12 hr shifts as an RN in the states    Can be brutal,  on your feet almost 12 hrs/ day--short breaks for 2 meals,  Seemed always short handed.   But that was way before my RA diagnosis

Can you take a medical leave for a period of time?   Course that would be unpaid leave here unless  you had a lot of time saved up.   I am sure it is different outside the US.   At any rate,  I hope you do well.   It is hard to stay positive but try to start out ea day on a positive note.  Not so great when stiff and in pain first thing

Keep us posted here and this forum is a fine sight for much support and gathering of informationwink

• Posted

Thanks Gloria! Your right, I have found so much information already, and today is my first time doing some research.

Your also right about not being in the States, i'm in the UK. We are very fortunate here in respect of paid sick leave, we get six months full pay, then drop to half pay for 6 months. I've been off for 7 weeks to date, and am really keen to get back especially as I think I may need more time off in the future.

I think my main problem is I feel guilty being off? Especially when I gave good days. .....the difficulty is they seem to be few and far between at times! Also, before I went off I defo think my workload massively contributed to the extremetity of my pain.......its been bad since I stopped work , but not AS bad. That's why i'm worried about going back, as much as i'm desperately keen, I'm terrified of that level.of pain returning......it was just relentless with no amount of analgesics having any effect .

Hoping and praying the injection I had dies it's job until the meds start and kick in!

• Posted

Do you still work Gloria?
    • Posted

Kaz - no employer, and most of all the NHS, will erect a memorial saying "She sacrificed her all for us". Take the sick leave you need and are entitled to. Don't over-egg the pudding - but sick leave entitlement is sick leave entitlement.

• Posted

Your right Eileen, and the last thing I want to sound like is some kind of martyr, it's just that for 'me' being the patient is a whole new concept. .... .

• Posted

Kaz I work as a health care assistant in the north of England and I swear the nature of this job contributed to my RA I have always thought that, I now have a much better job since last June and am actually doing ok thank goodness

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.