Advice please from RA patients

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi there, I had my RA confirmed just last week. At the same appointment I was given a steroid injection to help ease my current debilitating symptoms. Three days later and I find my symptoms have improved but not completely disappeared, yet. I was given information leaflets on Sulphasalazine and Methotrexate. When I return in 3 weeks I will be started on which ever one I decide on.

I have been off work now for 7 weeks and am due to return next week. However, I find although I am desperate to get back to work and normality, I am worried that my symptoms will return and I would then have to go off on sick again which would count as another sick episode, something which HR don't take kindly to.

I am a nurse and work 12 and a half hour night shifts. Prior to this period of sick leave I was finding that half way through the shift my hands became inflamed and sore. .....this would lead to poor sleep the next day and then struggling (badly ) through the next nights shift. Got to the point I had to go off sick and now understand I have been having a bad flare. My bloods showed RF and CCP positive.

My question is, will the steroid injection keep me symptom free till I get started on the meds?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for listening!

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i also suffer same as you mostly hands and feet I too started with steroid injection and methotrexate . Now i am on 20mg methotrexate once a week and 200mg sulfasalazine everyday i hate to say this but i am not finding it very good i am still suffering with lots of flare ups i to work in care for social services however my shifts are not long like yours but i to have just gone back to work after having 8 weeks off and i do worry and struggle at times. My doctor will no longer give me the steroid injection which i found to be amazing . I've got to wait another month or two to see my consultant but I'm hoping she will let me try something else. X good luck

• Posted

Hi Allison, sorry to hear your struggling 😐 I hope your consultant is sympathetic and finds out what works for you. Have you recently started on these meds? You dont say how long you've been taking them. I could be wrong , but I understand it can take some time to get it right?

I am hoping I will be one of the lucky ones and get a good response from the Methotrexate.

I wish you well Allison and hope you get some relief soon, take care

• Posted

I have been on methotrexate now for 20 months taken off tablets to injection then back to tablets as i didn't find the injection any good at all i have been on the other tablets now for 3 months still not having much joy tbh so hoping that my consultant appointment is pretty soon . I hope you are doing well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.