Advice please. Help. 6 weeks on 30mg increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I was increased from 20mg to 30mg of citalopram and today is 6 weeks since the increase. I had days where I felt I was getting better but then back to feeling like it's bad. The past weekend I felt great and like wow I am finally getting past this but yesterday and today have been worse. Today I keep crying and feeling scared and wondering if it will ever regulate and if I will ever feel good again.

Feeling scared. I want to know if it tool anyone longer than 6 weeks for the pills to help? Do I still wait this out? I need positivity. Please help me. Was feeling positive about it a few days ago but now so down.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Isabel. U have to stay positive. Its like a roller coaster being on these meds. Ur body has to adjust to them. Try going for a walk or some type of exercise. U WILL GET BETTER!!!!Just gotta beleive.
    • Posted

Yeah I try to do some exercise but sometimes it's too hard to do anything and I feel like any small task is overwhelming. How long does it take for these meds to adjust? I really thought by 6 weeks I would be great by now sad

• Posted

Not too sure how long they take to work. Everyone has a diff timeline. Just got to stick with it. Keep reading the posts in here.
  • Posted

Take it day-by-day, love.

Mornings are still bad for me and I will be 6 weeks tomorrow. Sleep problems and the anxiety are the last things that lift. I was concerned my dose was too strong, because mostly it is upsetting my stomach. A girl in my class takes 10mg and had little to no side effects. I told her about how I thought my dose was too strong and she told me about how her friend felt like I did for two months. Now she feels amazing. It takes time.

Today I drank an Ensure, ate a salad, just had some Pringles and then my boyfriend and I are going to go for supper. My mom even said to me my body isn't used to taking medications... I might not see improvement as quickly. You'll get there soon!

• Posted

I hope you start feeling better soon smile

The girl took 8 weeks to feel any benefits?

I thought by now at 6 weeks I would be ok because when I was at 20mg I think by 6 weeks I was feeling ok til months later when anxiety was bad again and my doc increased me to 30mg.

• Posted

Recovery often comes in waves, so no matter what dose you're on you will get this up and down phase - feeling like you're getting better and then finding you're back down again.  Its normal.  Increasing your dose won't avoid it.  It seems something we all have to go through.

Remember, you are recovering, even though you'll get these dips.  Your body is adjusting and in time the dips will stop.  When you have them, try and just let them be there, relax / let go of tension in your middle as you go about your everyday life, take a walk every day as exercise helps burn up excess adrenaline, and above all ... remind yourself that this is part of the recovery process.

The dips will get less and less intense and shorter too as you go through to recover.

K x

• Posted

Yeah I try to exercise. Hard sometimes. I also have a three year old and feel bad when I am like this. I feel like a failure sometimes.

Do you know how long it takes for these meds to adjust and even out? Is it normal 6 weeks in I'm so anxious etc? By evening I usually feel a little better. And get so frustrated that morning I'm back to this.

• Posted

Isabel,

I started taking CIT on September 6 of this year so I just finished week 7. In the beginning I had a placebo effect the first few days and after a week I felt like I had been. As the weeks went by I felt a little better and a little better. The last week I've had a blip and it's really bumming me out. I'm. It sure if I have to up my dose (20mg the whole time) or what. You're not the only one going through this.

• Posted

Yeah I am not sure if you wait it out to see how things go. Talk to your doctor and see what they suggest? It really sucks doesn't it?

I wish anxiety didn't exist and that we could all wake relaxed and happy and not in fear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.