Advice Please if you would be so kind

Posted , 7 users are following.

My wife has been diagnosed with DD

All the usual symptoms and stress

I wont go into the specifics however I am looking for experienced information

After several hospital visits, scans, blood tests, a battery of antibiotics we are still no where controlling this

The biggest concerns are the constant Nausea and associated loss of appetite and fatigue.

Does anyone have any views on this

my wife has just picked up an advert for BIMUNO any good ?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Food is the biggest part of managing this disease. Figuring out what is safe to eat and what your colon does not like. Your wife needs to start a food diary where she lists everything that passes her lips. Dairy, spices and raw foods being the most often bad foods. Lots of water to keep things moving. Soft foods ( see Mayo Clinic low residue foods) in small portions.

I don't know the probiotic you mentioned so I can't comment on that.

Best wishes to your wife.

• Posted

Whilst your wife is getting over this and settling down stick to a fairly simple diet of foods that are easy to digest. Avoid anything with skins and seeds such a berries, grapes, tomatoes, sweetcorn and also nuts. These are harder to digest and can cause problems when things have flared up. Avoid red meat and stick with chicken, fish, eggs for protein. Potatoes, white rice, pasta and well cooked vegetables are fine, easy to digest and may be easy to take without the nausea. Try soups too, many people advocate a liquid diet for a while after a flare up.

I have found that it takes time to heal even after antibiotics, sometimes several weeks, so the idea is to rest the digestive system as best you can by coomunb good well and keeping if simple. Gradually introduce other things and include fibre to keep things moving along well. I take Fybogel each day as a simple way to increase my intake.

You will gradually discover what foods work for your wife and which to avoid.

• Posted

Does your wife still have fever? If she did (100+), she might need more antibiotics. The antibiotics do destroy the good gut fauna, and give nausea. Summer even make you feel stressed and depressed. If she's of the anti biotics, it will take a while: both for the inflammation to heal, and the gut fauna to get back on track. Took mine over 6 weeks, and now after 8 u still take a bunch of supplements, watch what i eat, eat small meals. The supplement you mention is a prebiotic, a digestible fiber. It helps but should be taken in very small amounts at first, AND in combination with probiotics. As she introduces mushy diet. I personally found slippery elm to be very soothing, and am taking enzymes with everymeal. Good luck, patience, and lots of rest!

• Posted

I, too, find slippery elm to beneficial.  I have tried loads other things but this seems to help a little.  I take all types of precautions and avoid loads of food but this horrible disease still strikes me regularly.  I am always anxious, wondering when the next attack will happen, it really gets me down.
    • Posted

Don't let it get you down: we have to see it as a way to eat healthy, to eat less, to minimize stress in our lives, and to take it in stride. These are all good healthy life habits.

I knew a 6 year-old boy afflicted with neuroblastoma who said to his parents one day: "Don't let cancer ruin your day!' Such an inspiration...  (He did pass away, but his words come often to my heart).

Cheers!

• Posted

Thank you, for your kind words, although I am not overweight, smaller portions would do me good, for my gut and weight.  However I find that healthy foods, salads, veg and fruits have an adverse effect.  White everything seems ok but boring and certainly unhealthy.  I am between a rock and hard place.  As for stress I am a huge worrier, probably my own  worst enemy.  I am sure that this plays a huge part in diverticular disease  and catches up with you in later years.  That little boy was wise beyond his years and his words so true, when I am feeling down I will think of that sweet little darling. x

• Posted

In my personal experience, I would keep,going back if she still doesn't feel well. I was told it was just healing etc( and it does take a while ) but mine didn't heal and I ended up with surgery because of abscess

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies

My wife has a phone appointment today as it takes 3 weeks to get an appointment in our surgery

and we have another scan booked for mid august

We have gone back to the bland diet, this weekend was dreadful the weight loss is a real concern

every time food is processed in the gut to the bowl the nausea kicks in resulting in her being bed ridden.

Here's hoping the doctor can give us a plan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.