Advice please on CES recovery and is full recovery possible ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

hello everyone 

I’m now 7 months post emergency decompression op ( microdiscecomy / laminectomy L4 L5) for sudden onset CES and I’m told I’m doing well. 

Bladder & bowel  seem to be recovering ok and my backs not in pain ( huge relief and surprising as  the A&E dept took 80 + hrs to get me to surgery despite arriving with classic red flag symptoms).

My legs and feet are my main issue now as I have severe foot drop both L & R and my gluteus, calf and other leg muscles remain very weak even after months of excercises and Physio,

walking and swimming.

Self employed and being unable to walk means I can’t work. So there’s additional stress there.

I’d really like to hear from others as to what’s worked for you in aiding recovery.

What specific physio excercises helped your legs and feet recover ?

Does anyone know of any vitamin therapy that helps nerve growth ?

Any other therapies ( acupuncture / massage ) that have helped ?

Is it possible to make a full recovery from CES ?

Thanks very much

ed

50 year old Uk male with family to support

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Eddie,

Glad to be of help. The handbook that I read that was particularly helpful and defines 'chronic cauda equina' was the one published by Dr Forest Tennant in July 2017 and is called 'Arachnoiditis handbook for survival ' . I was tired when writing before but was trying to say this was the first place I had found after scouring the internet that had any easily read description and tips for living with 'chronic cauda equina syndrome'. There are subsequent 'arachnoiditis' handbooks that link from the dame public information site 'arachnoiditis hope' . Not anything selling or commercial, just a kind american Dr whom is widely published providing tipd. I am not saying these things are the same disease, but I had alot of 'aha' momments with my gp reading that resource. I too came on here , this forum during my earlier recovery time looking for others and had not found much clear information on the 'after' for CeS ERS like us online. Just alot on the emergency stage published by medical people.

This is an excellent supportive forum too and helped me push for treatment back in the day. I was on here asking the similar questions you are too, earlier along in my own journey and some of the lovely people on here then helped me.

I dont get time for reading much - I have managed to do work part time and thus alot of spare time is spent dealing with the fatigue to keep that up. Please do keep updating on your progress and recovery or any tips you find too for living with CES. I am still learning too years along. Take Care. Wishing you lots of nerve growth!

• Posted

I'd like some of the same information. I'm probably expecting too much too soon, after only 100 days post surgery, but I would like to see a bit more progress than I've had so far. It sounds like you are standing at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.