advice please on whst to tell dr

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am so fed up with self I don't know what to do. Been on antidepressant for past 8 years for 5years fluoxetine 20mgs only, then combination of fluoxetine 20 mgs and clomipramine 3x daily, 15 months ago fluoxetine increased to 40 then 60 MGs. Had course CBT DEC - July. Came off clomipramine whilst having CBT as I was doing OK. Sept this year saw a deterioration in mental health GP decided to change meds to Mirtazapine, I had to gradually reduce fluoxetine over 3 weeks but was prescribed diazepam to help with increase in anxiety at this time. I then started mirt 15mgs 8 weeks ago. Sleep immediately improved, but also started with very bizzare vivid dreams which i still have, then weight gain which hasn't gone down well with me. I gave also suffered with swollen ankles and feet (Gp does know)  all my muscles ache  msking me feel old and making it harder to carry out fairly simple tasks which pre mirt i had no physical problems doing. today I have noticed a tingling sensation in my finger tips. I am due to see Gp next week do I continue with mirt, ask to see psychiatrist (not seen one for approx 18 years.) I keep telling myself there is nothing actually wrong with me, and feel i am just making it all up, then I the next breath I am suspecting i may have some undiagnoed psychiatric condition. ( having a nursing background doesn't' help either). I feel nobody cares and wishing i could die. ( don't think i would do anything) but thanks for reading this any replys will be great fully recieved

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'd say keep taking the mirt till see the doc, and definitely see about getting refered to psychiatrist. A clinical pyschologyst might be a good shout to look at your meds as that is their speciality
    • Posted

Thank you for taking time out to read my blog, I am having a bad day despite keeping myself busy this am. I won't just stop mirt as I believe sudden withdrawal has awful effects. Hope tomorrow is better. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi there am sorry to hear you've not had a good time of it. My mental health started to deteriorate last month due to sudden changes in the weather I think and darker afternoons/evenings. I have been on mitazipine for 5 months now and about September time I had joint and muscle aches so spoke to gp and now being referee to physiotherapy as having had bad depressive days Ive laid in bed too much and this has also caused mobility issues, i would definitely speak to gp again and also for first month or so of being put on mitazipine I did feel worse before I felt better, with it having an anti depressive agent combine with a mild sedative your body may take a few months to get used to it, also don't take it in the mornings only take it in the evenings as then the aching should of worn off by the time you get up but mine didn't gp has now said it is just a side effect but I must stay on it as has helped stabilize me when fluoxetine didn't at all. Always speak to a medical professional if in doubt and if you have more than one gp within your surgery ask to see someone different. Sometimes a new pair of eyes can spot symptoms better than others and it may be that another gp would look at your entire case differently and have different treatment plans to try hope some of this helps
    • Posted

Thank you for reading my blog and taking time out to reply. I know I'm having a bad time at the present, unable to change negative thoughts to positive ones despite having had cbt . Being told what to do is easy but actually doing it is hard. I feel friends and family don't' understand or want to try to understand. I feel I can only get some peace of mind by using this site at the moment realising I am not alone but I am not sure it is for the best.

What you have said makes sense. I do take Mirt at night, but I don't seem to get any relief from muscle ache. I'm not keen on seeing another GP in the practice yet as I have only been seeing this Gp just over 12 months and straight away he was making changes in the management but this was after proper discussions and listening to what I have said.

Having been a health care professional myself I do listen but it doesn't always help the way I think. Fortunately I haven't acted on my thoughts or I wouldn't be here now.

• Posted

Just wanted to pop in to say I have severe muscle aches with the mirt and my doctor said had nothing to do with the mirt then went to another doctor she said I had fibro...not the mirt but I thought it was the mirt and once I went from 30 to 15 the muscle aches went down, so insisted I get off of it and found a doctor who would help me WD from it the symptoms coming off of it were bad for me, not sure for you but please be careful. Mirt is a histamine blocker and found that the histamines can then dump into thin muscle tissues, my muscle aches were hips and upper legs. Hope this helps you. I am now  off the mirt several weeks and the muscle aches are almost gone. Still feel them now and again but almost a forgotten issue. So yes, it can cause muscle aches. Get a good doctor who can help you come off the mirt or call CITA, I'm pretty certain they will go away

good luck!

and yes I had the finger tip issue as well...very bizarre drug.

• Posted

Hi Rose, to update you i have just got back from drs and he has taken me off mirtazapine not at my request but  because of the muscle ache. When he reviewed me 4 weeks ago I only complained of swelling to the feet, I hadn't picked up on the muscle problem then.

I have been prescribed Venlafaxine 75 MG's. Problem I have now is that I have no Mirtazapine left so I am concerned about what the effects are going to be switching from one to the other.

Hope you are doing OK.

Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.