Advice please -propranonol

Posted , 3 users are following.

Merry Christmas.. I am after some advice I started on propananol about 2 months ago now and was just taking 20mg in the morning but the past week my anxiety has been awful and I have been waking in the night with a racing heart so I have been told to take 20mg 3 times a day. I take it first thing about 3pm and then about 10.30 when I go to bed . Today my pulse rate has been a lot lower than usual it has been about 65 .. Since I have taken my 3.30pm dose my resting rate has been 63 -65 . Without the propananol my resting rate is about 90 . I am now worrieso to take my last dose as I am worried my heart rate will go to low whilst I am asleep as it's never this low when I take my tablet. I don't know what to do as I don't want to miss a dose and chance waking in the night with a racing heart but I don't want to take it and it make my pulse too low . Please can someone advise

thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi am on propanalol have been for some time I take 40mg for palpitations my resting heart is 52 which is fine my cousin a doctor and I always text her but propanalol is only for symptoms my doctor told me but it does slow ur heart rate down
  • Posted

Collette

Stop taking your heart rate so often the reading are quite dynamic and can change with exercise, relaxation or even when upset, the reading above look normal so stop worrying.

BOB

• Posted

I wish I could I am obsessed it's driving me mad it's either to high or too low it's taken over my life x

• Posted

Generally the pulse rate will change depending what you are doing. If you are in bed it will be different if you are exercising, walking or worried about something, the readings you have shown are that of a healthy femail.

Please stop continueing to read your pulse it is a dynamic reading that changes, depending on your activity.

If you are really concerned talk to your GP, He will most probably explain the same as above

BOB

• Posted

I think they need to rethink handing blood pressure meds for anxiety disorders. So many issues with bp meds to begin with,
  • Posted

I agree with the responses above too. I had a similar response to propranolol about my heart rate going too slow (I take it for both anxiety and blood pressure control), and my doctor said that as long as I was in the 60s to high 50s range, and I didn't have symptoms of dizziness or shortness of breath I'd be ok. I think the med does pretty good for my anxiety, although now I am watchful of those symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.