Advice please re breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I'm hoping you good caring people might be able to give me some advice.

Since March I've has really bad anxiety and a few months ago I was diagnosed with having panic attacks with agoraphobia and anxiety.

This was diagnosed due to the symptoms I got (and most of them I still do):

Blurred vision and floaters

Pins and needles

Shaky

Feeling light headed

Racing heart (was diagnosed with tachycardia in 2011)

Scared to leave the house, go places by myself

Also I started feeling out of breath or feeling like I could not take deep breaths.

With this though my GP said it could be asthma and prescribed me with inhalers to take (which to be honest I don't take) because I'm not sure if I'm convinced it is asthma as there's no proper tests to diagnose it. Also I'm worried if it's not asthma and I've been using the inhalers it could be dangerous for me.

Also I'm scared that if I do use the inhalers to help with my breathing and it don't work I'm going to be worried even more.

I just feel so scared right now about my breathing and I'm worried if it is asthma and I'm not treating it I can die. 

I don't know if it's an attack I'm having or what.

People have called me a hypocontriac but I can't help it.

I want to cry but know that won't help with my breathing issues.

Can someone tell me what they think I should do please.

Apologies if I sound stupid 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If there is a different doctor in the same practice that you can see, seek a second opinion. It does sound a little as though your doctor is a bit complacent or unsympathetic. I think it sounds like your anxiety triggering the tightness, but your doctor ahould be offering you treatment or therapy to find the root cause of your anxiety, not just blindly prescribing asthma medication. Remember, you are in control, if you are not happy with an opinion of your gp, seek a second one! Yes, you might have more anxiety than the next patient, but you deserve a proper diagnosis xx
    • Posted

I seem to be forever going to the gp and not much progress has happened.

I feel like sometimes my GP don't understand how I'm feeling and just wants to give me medication - they also prescribed fluoxetine but I don't want to rely on tablets to make me feel better as such.

I've got folic acid tablets to take as well.

I just want to be 100% if it is asthma so I know that I can take the inhaler as prescribed and if it don't help or escalate than to seek further medical advice.

I admit I am a worrier but I can't help it.

• Posted

Taking the inhaler won't do any harm even if you don't have asthma. Your GP may be just edging his bets and seeing what it might be, ruling out certain things but from what you said the breathing and other symptoms are classic anxiety symptoms. 

Keep the inhaler with you for peace of mind and take the fluoxetine that way your also covering the bases, you will be fine.

i also feel I'm going to the gp a lot but I'm unwell and that's what he's there for, it's what he signed up to be a doctor for ( that's what I tell myself). 

• Posted

I went through the same thing, for 18 months... Back and forth, back and forth... Until i had to see another GP as mine was away, and the other GP referred me to CBT. It sounds ridiculous but i never made the connection that I had anxiety, i thought i must be seriously ill for sure with all the symptoms i was having and my regular GP never once said it was anxiety. It took for the therapist to explain the science behind the way the body works for me to understand there is nothing wrong with me! Now i am on fluoxetine and half way through 8 weeks of therapy and what a difference! Push through the fears with the anti depressants and give em a go, they dont suit everyone, but been a godsend for me! No harm trying, you wont know if you dont eh x
  • Posted

Hi I was just wandering when you get blurred vision and floater is that all the time or just when anxiety is bad? I get this too but called snow vision which is caused my anxiety.
  • Posted

I had, and still have some of the systoms you named. It's all coming from anxiety.  When you feel you can't breath does your panic come first? I get that problem sounds like your hyperventilating. You need to try relax,  it will be ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.