ADVICE PLZ

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just started gabapentin as I have fibromyalgia I took my first 300mg today the pain has eased lots but I do feel a little strange is this normal as in two days the dose goes to 600mg them two days later up to 900mg !! Any advice welcome plz

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sadie, I've been on gabapentin for many years (15+) & haven't had any side effects that I can remember. However I do know of others who have had similar issues as you. It does pass as you get used of the drug. I'm on 600mg x 3 daily and have to say they do help and help control my pain. A word of caution though, don't come off them cold turkey, do it in a controlled manner via your GP. The withdrawal from them can be painful & somewhat disorientating as I've found out through personal experience. But in conclusion, stick with them for a while as they can be extremely effective.
    • Posted

I was meant to take another today but was saving it for the evening as I'm at work but I've been non stop shaking and I feel so hot I don't no if I should take it later or not bother and wait until I see the doctor next week
  • Posted

Hope you`re feeling better. Thought I`d share my own gabapentin experience with you and other interested forum parties. My problem began with nerve damage caused by a miserable shingles attack 3 years ago. Postherpetic neuralgia is a misery. Got pain relief with amitriptyline. But couldn`t handle the wacked out side effect that lasted half way into the afternoon. My own research led me to a cousin drug with lower side effects. Did a good job at 100 mg per day. Was not good enough on its own to get complete relief. A year ago Doctor added gabapentin. I titrated up to 400 mg. Then after my 6th and final round of chemo last December, my herpes voster was reactivated minus the skin eruptions. The PHN pain came rushing back in. I suggested to my doctor to go up to the maximum effective dosage, from my literature research. He concurred and I titrated up to 1800 mg per day in 3 x 600 mg doses. 1500 didn`t do the job but 1800 did. Now 2 months in at 1800 mg. Side effects include somnolescence. Sleep like a baby at the drop of a hat several times during the day. Don`t sleep well at night. Nausea. Need to eat before and after dose to avoid nausea. I use a chemo anti-nauseal called Metonia that eliminates nausea in 3-5 minutes. Acts on 3 levels including nausea centre in the brain. Wonderful drug. I use one tablet about 6 times a week. Dosing I use is 600 mg at bedtime, 600 mg at 9 am and 600 mg at 4:30 pm. other side effects drugged feeling in the head, fatigue, weakness in the legs, clumsiness, stumbling, dropping things on a regular basis. I`m reporting these side effects and am grateful the gabapentin is working most of the time. I use Pramox HC locally toward late afternoon and evening for local hypersensitivity and pain several times a week. Questions welcomed.
    • Posted

Brian, have u tried lidocaine 5% patches. They are specifically for phn and have about 10 listed side effects in comparison to the thousands of gabapentin. They are called versatis in U.K.. Not sure about overseas.

They have great reviews but I think they are expensive so they are not often prescribed. One of my gps didn't even know what they were.

If u haven't heard of them I suggest reading reviews online and asking ur dr to try them. It may enable u to cut down or get of gabapentin altogether if it's only for the phn u take them.

• Posted

Thx for your suggestion. I have a huge area affected. I need a systemic treatment that gabapentin provides. I`ll continue reading. Thx again.
  • Posted

I'm taking 600mg of gabapentin 3x daily and 2x 30mg cocodamol 4x daily. Has anyone taken any similar and had any side effects?
    • Posted

I'm on 3 x 600 mg of gabapentin (split 2 x 300mg at 9 am, again at 4:30 pm, then 2 x 300 mg at bedtime) with 2 x 25mg Apo-Nortriptyline. Its been 3 weeks since we decided to go from 600 mg per day to the effective dose level of 1800 mg per day. Pain was out of control after 8 months at 400 mg per day due to a postherpetic neuralgia spike following 6 months of chemo. Pain is largely under control but I have a list of side effects I'm managing with to varying degrees. Wake up hung over and foggy. Sensitve to sounds. Like silence. I'm clumsy all day. Stumble a bit. Drop things. Search for words. Dumbed down generally. Fall asleep at wheel. Have my kids drive me a lot. Can have to lie down and sleep with little notice for 1-3 hours at a time. Short term memory on sloe to stupid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.