Advice re pain management

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I am new to forum. I have neuropathic pain in my feet and now part of leg. Occurred post cortisone injections pre surgery to treat ligament damage caused by an accident. Unable to have surgery now due to pain condition.

To date have tried Topiramate, lidocaine patches, pregabalin, amitriptyline, codeine, tramadol and celicoxib as anti inflammatory. Currently taking duloxetine, 60mg of codeine 4 times a day, lidocaine and celicoxib.

Was discharged by hospital pain team after a very upsetting appt where was not even asked about my symptoms and told there was nothing else that could be done. I am still relatively young and rapidly losing faith in medical profession.

Any ideas what I can do. I am still only able to work part time, cannot stand/walk for long periods and average 3-4 hours sleep at night if I am lucky-sometimes I go to work on no sleep. Any suggestions re what I can do treatment wise and anything to help manage pain at night. Not mad keen to try gabapentin as heard it can make you really drowsy which would not be great for my work. Tramadol did nothing.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I would give Gabapentin a try along with Duloxetine. I am on 1800 Gab and 600 Dul and live a very normal life as long as i remember to take them also find any form of exercise helps i.e. Yoga.

Carol

• Posted

Sorry but I tried duloxetine and it made things worse even on small dose, well worth remembering that what suits one may not suit another. Sorry Carol.
    • Posted

I know it different for different people but just had such major problems with side effects with nearly everything I have been on. Do you mind me asking if you are getting side effects with gabapentin. I have a few friends on it that have really struggled with the drug?
    • Posted

I just started with gabApentin. Seems to work. Will let you know about side effects

Sandy

• Posted

I have been on it for 2 years but get blood taken every 6 months to check if its ok to continue with them.
    • Posted

At the start i felt a bit spaced out and got the runs all the time but its all settled down now.

Carol

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear this. I take it that you have researched the effect of medication and that several can cause neuropathy?

• Posted

Sorry but I tried duloxetine and it made things worse even on small dose, well worth remembering that what suits one may not suit another. Sorry Carol.

• Posted

I'm on 100mg 3x a day. I see the side effects. I'm. On it. Thanks

• Posted

Hi

I too have leg pain from spinal stenosis and bulging disc at L-4-L5. I have some relief with a heating pad,alpha lipoic acid ,and cream you massage in area. Just started gabApentin. It helps with pain and sleeplessness. Good luck

Sandy

• Posted

Hi, I am so very sorry you have to deal w this situation. I have been dealing w nerve damage, painsomnia (very little sleep) for a very long time.m have had every procedure and Meds available.  My biggest learning curve has been accepting the new normal that my life is now.  This is a very depressing illness.  First of all it is invisible, most folks feel bad for you but don't really understand.  Believing in your knowledge of you and what is going on is big. Think of yourself as a warrior who is dealing w a battle to be as well as possible. Pain management clinics are the most knowledgeable re. Your options . It is a lengthy process. Takes courage to not give up!  I have heard that fentonal patches are helpful to some. I never used them. I am on morphine and have recently had Nevro implant for nerve stimulation. It helps is not cure. I am able to get around a bit but need to determine what   Activity I will pursue as it does influence pain level.  I am an old duck so I am able to adjust to activity level I

• Posted

I hit wrong button! Anyways hold on tight to those you love and be kind to yourself. I wish you the very best and am sending a hug your way! 
    • Posted

Thanks for your wise remarks. I too am a senior and have been very active my entire life

This is a big adjustmentI am finally going to a pain management doctor

Sandy

• Posted

It is a journey and I hope it is a successful one for you. Be a warrior!! Good luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Where did u go to for your nevro implant?How long ago was it done?

• Posted

Grocery shopping and when back home my nerve damage makes an unwelcome visit. Rest to calm nerves down also Meds if need extra help.  Or  going out to local bar w husband for a couple of drinks w friends.  Som other shopping that to me is fun but need to stop when I can feel the pain coming on!  So I can not play golf or tennis or those kinds of activities.  I am used to it now.  I am grateful I have my husband who still thinks I am wonderful.  I have a lovely home to not feel so good in.  My children are capable and have lovely thought processes. Etc, etc, etc.  And then there is Molly a sweet loving maltipoo dog who brings us so much love and fun everyday., I am grateful that I was not like this when Our children were young!  To those of you facing that you have my respect and understanding. Again best of luck.
    • Posted

It was done locally w my pain management dr.  About 3 months ago.
    • Posted

I am going to guys st thomas London. The head of their pain management team read all about me. And thought I was a good choice for this Nero modulation it's the cost they worry about. That why they do all this pre assessment. It cost 25000 per op.

• Posted

My wife brought up 4 girls she had sciatic nerve damage she as a foot with all the toes curl over each other
    • Posted

Dear Keith

I am sorry to butt in and also very sorry to hear this. May I ask you what treatment did your wife have for this and if it helped at all? Has your wife got a hammer toe?

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards

• Posted

I am she tells me to get on with it. She as found it hard to except the big change in me.

But we are ok. We live in a 6 bedroom house I love down stairs I have a shower room. We have our youngest daughter her husband and 2 girls only little 4 and 20months she was born in this house. It looks old but it's only 20years old faces the village green and swings so quite .

• Posted

Yes she as it looks all deformed she walks on the side of her foot. She got this she as a aggressive format of sogjens syndrome her gland in her face stop working the she had lumps. In the 90s it was a difficult job to operate on she as face drop a eye drops and looks like she had a bad stroke it was not it was the damage they caused hitting the nerves the hit the nerve that does ur feet it's run along near the neck. But the problem was she was in a bad way in the theatres they rang me told me to get to the hospital I had 4 little girls to look after. I got them sorted. I arrived and she was in high depence unit. When she was OK she just scream with the pain in her feet the had been working on her to save her but she was in a fun position and her sciatic nerve was damaged amazing as it was her head they operated on. Her treatment as been nothing she as suffered with this for all this time she as serve arthritis ammune system it attacks it's self. Plus she still as glans the swell up now they are to frighten to touch her. She as blood pressure problems I worry alot about her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.