Advice regarding my husband possibly having bipolar

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my husband had a manic episode in may last year. He was sectioned under section two. The episode last 5months in total (with no medication). As he came down from the episode he sunk into a depression and has now been in that depression for 6 months. We have been battling his depression by our selfs as he was reluctant to seek help, he was scared he would be sectioned again! We finally spoke to his social worker last week and although i am constantly having to phone as chase him up on things, i believe we will start getting more support.

The thing that im finding the hardest is my husbands behaviour towards me!!! The last few days he has become so cold towards me........ignoring me, no physical contact at all, looking at me as if he hates me. Im worried that this sudden change in behaviour could be a sign that another manic episode is on its way (he completely turned against me during his last episode and walked out on our 10year relationship and toddler). I am just hypo sensitive to the situation and completely exhausted by it or could this be the beginning of a manic episode. (My husband hasnt been diagnosed with bipolar but care in the community are on the look out for it, although we only see them for 30mins every 3-8weeks! My husband is not currently on any medication.)

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy, Just to say i am having a psychiatric assessment on wednesday having lived for 30 plus years knowing i was different . I would say my husband has experienced a lot of the emotionless,coldness etc stuff you have been brave enough to post today.I am not in a position to say whats happening with your husband but if you look at posts by christine and David on the depression dicussions you might glean some insight reading what they have said.My husband and i have been married for 25yrs this year and we have an 18yr old daughter who is turning into a funny,respectful,grounded adult .Proud of them both for very different reasons but my goodness i've pushed them to limits far beyond what anyone should have to cope with. Best Wishes x

• Posted

Hello Lucy - First of all I take my hat off to you, it sounds like you are coping really bravely with what would be daunting and terrifying to anybody.

I have Bipolar 1 with the kind of extreme manic episodes from which your husband has suffered. Ive been lucky enough to have avoided being sectioned - the fear of t kept me from getting proper help for 20-odd years. 

It scares me that your husband was sectioned for mania but given no medication! 

Theres so much reluctance to use the medicines that - in my case and many others - are literally life-saving. 

Its also very worrying that you only see your CPN for half an hour every few weeks!

It must be so worrying to see the constant changes in your husbands moods, and to feel left alone to just 'get on with it' by your local services. You know although your GP cannot 'discuss' your husbands situation with you, you may certainly notify your GP about worrying changes in his mood? I know you are scared about this, that he doesnt want to be sectioned again and is reluctant to get help. When I am manic i am convinced everyone just wants to spoil my fun and is out to get me... but Bipolar 1 is a very serious condition, you cannot just 'see how it goes' - it wont get better on its own unfortunately. And the course of the illness is so destructive in every sense - financially, emotionally, jobs, family, health, everything. 

I would do your level best to speak to your GP, CMHT, CPN - anyone on the team who you trust, about how worried you are. Prompt medication can get your husband stable so that he never need be sectioned ever again.

For my own story, after 20+ years of chaos, depression, mania,a total rollercoaster of constant extreme hghs and lows, I am now stable on lithium and have mirtazipine (antidepressant) added if my mood slips low. If my mood goes up a little bit they add depakote as an additional mood stabiliser. It took a year or so to tweak the meds til they were just right, but  it was so worth doing. Now I no longer have to worry when I am next going to go off the rails and derail my whole life again. You and your husband deserve the same stability. I do hope you can get the help you so obviously need. Best of luck and god bless xx 

• Posted

Thank you for this^

How are you these days?

I am battling this with my husband, father of 2young children. It frightens me that they see their father like this. My husband has the kindest soul, but has been effected by his thoughts his whole life.

This week is the second time I have seen him in his manic state. He has been depressed. We lost both of his parents since we have been married. (2009)

I don't know what to do.

He just came back from a long walk, home after 3am. (Left at 6:30pm) he was upset with me when he got back. Lost his phone...

I will try to get help tomorrow and hope he will try medication ... I am afraid.

I do know things will fall into place... just wonder how this will..

Hope you found a solution. Thank you for your post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.