Advice / Tips on Recovery Please - How did you rest, bowel movement, labia swelling etc

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I had my sub total abdominal hysterectomy Tues avo and came home Thurs but it has been a challlenge so far!

Just wondered if anyone has any advice / tips on recovery and whether anyone has experienced some of the issues I currently have....

Gas - Nobody told me this would be one of the major things to face causing so much pain! I think I have this under control although it does seem to be worse after eating. Does this improve after a week or so?

Resting vs Walking - I know it's important to get up and about but it seems like a vicious cycle at the moment. I've been up walking to / fro in the house to counteract the trapped gas, avoid blood clots but I just wondered what you ladies did in terms of balancing this out with resting? Did you lay down in bed most of the early days, sit in chairs/on sofa? My backside is numb from sitting/lying as I'm just not used to it. My legs are so restless and I have backache too. I don't want to overdo things.

Labia Swelling - I was shocked to find my right labia very swollen yesterday and black in colour. After a call to the hospital, they asked me to pop back to see the doc who had a quick look and said it's bruising and swelling from the op which has gravitated there. They want to call me today for an update. Having googled this, it seems common. Anyone here experienced it and what did you do and how long did it last?

Bowel movement - So I successfully opened my bowel yesterday after being on lactulose and I had my appetite back. However at 1am I was on the loo in excruitiating pain where I had two soft bowel movements followed by diarrhoea which was horrendous. I know it takes a while for your bowel to get back to normal. Just wondered if anyone had this same experienc? Am scared to eat much now...Think I will lay off the lactulose today...

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll be here again with another Q!!!! I'm starting to feel real nervous about my overall recovery and whilst I know it's early days, I'm worried about long term issues😥

Thank you ladies.

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

so day 13 for me today, Im feeling quite good, managing to sleep most of the night now with the help of a pillow on my side. Not sure how much i should be doing around the house, so trying to do as little as possible until i see the nurse on wednesday. How is evryone else doing ?
    • Posted

That's great. Yeah I'm sleeping quite well, waking at 2am for tablets then back off to sleep until 6/7am. Got my pillows sorted now👍Managing a short lie on my sides too.

Am up and walking about much easier but just put a call into my doctor to have a chat about my leg pain. My right leg has a full ache below the knee and above in my lower thigh. Paranoid about dvt! I'm usually very active at the gym etc so it may just be lack of muscle use. It's not red or swollen so will see what they say...

• Posted

oh i hope you are ok.. you do seem to have been "battered" a lot more than me. I dont seem to have any brusing and am down to having just a pin killer at night. Take it easy and rest. 

• Posted

Thanks, I'm back home from the docs and all ok. It's not swollen or red so I just need to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then to go back or call 999 if I get short of breath! Probably just my muscles thinking what the heck is going on from too much rest!! I never normally sit down at all in the day, other than if I'm working on my laptop, normally on the school run, gym classes and cleaning....

I do seem to have so much bruising. Not sure if it's just where I'm so petite but most people I know that have had hysterectomies haven't had bruising in the bikini area😬

I asked the doc to check my incision too whilst I was there and all looks ok so that's great 👍

• Posted

DAY 17.. how are you all doing today ? i seen the nurse on wednesday who was happy with my scar, told to take it easy, but still not sure on the definaction of that one. I did take the dog for a stroll yeasterday and cooked tea, seeing as i was home alone. Feeling a bit in pain today, not sure what thats about, wouldnt have said id lifited anything heavier than the kettle. Tried asking the nurse for advice on the menopause and symptoms to watch out for but her phone rang so i just left. I am having a few hot moments but thats it really, nothing major, do you think that will be it or does it build up slowly ? 
    • Posted

Sounds like you're doing well 👍Pain is probably because you did a bit more yesterday. From what I've read the pain comes and goes anyway...

I had a terrible night as I woke with really bad aching leg pain and after laying there worrying for a few hours I decided to ring 111. They weren't concerned after going thru the various Qs though. I barely slept so I felt quite weak this morn and took myself back to bed after getting my son ready for school.

Been worrying all day though, so I phoned my doc surgery and went to see a doc who examined and measured my calf (same size as the other so no swelling) but it was painful when he pushed on it. He's now arranged an ultrasound scan for Sunday morning to see what going on.

Feel happier now and need to try not to worry from now til then😬

Got really bad back ache low down on one side too today 👎

Managed to get out for a walk again though so that was good.

• Posted

Dont worry too much about the leg pains .. im getting them too and had the back ache last night .. keep your appointment to check you over. Im taking ibuprofen 400mg once or twice a day now. I did have a few days without at the beginning of the week. 
    • Posted

Yeah me too, back on the ibrufen and paracetamol. I was only taking paracetamol the last 4 days and then only took them twice yest but back on 4 hourly plus Ibrofen again.

I'm hoping the leg pain is just my body wondering what is going on as it's not used to doing nothing! I'm normally at the gym doing 4/5 classes of high impact aerobics, Pilates, squats, step, core work and light weights. Plus school runs, housework, work etc, I barely sit down so it's gone from all that to zero!!!

• Posted

Scan was all clear, no dvt thankfully! Just hoping it's my muscles as I'm not anywhere near as active as normal, and nothing else to do with the op!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.