advice to better tolerate augmentin/other diverticulitis antibiotics?

Posted , 2 users are following.

-hi, posting because desperate. a flare is bad enough but the 'cure' seems as bad. Ive tried a variety of antibiotics for diverticulitis flares over the years. initially was given bactrim /flagyl and levaquin and had terrible times. then it appeared i wasnt allergic to pencillin so they tried augmentin. i thought i had been able to tolerate it (my memory seems to blank details out). in the most recent attack however i began a dose of augmentin 875/125 and woke with a really bad headache that made just functioning impossible. I know headacxhes, i get lots for other reasons, but i couldnt cope wiht this. So my question is-anyone have advice on how to mitigate/moderate these side effects? i do take this stuff with food; try to drink lots of water; and have used tylenol/aspirin to try to quell the headaches. had to resort to a migrain drug (immitrex which i had around bcos i also get migraines chronically) the last time but those are not supposed to be taken often. any insights most appreciated. thanks much, N.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have my antibiotics made at a compounding pharmacy. Always cipro and flagyl for diverticulitis treatment for me. This has greatly reduced headaches and other side effects. It is expensive, but worth every penny to me. I also always take them 2 hours apart from one another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.