Advice wanted regarding Attendance Allowance

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am looking for some advice with regards to Attendance Allowance for my partners mother.  She is going to be 70 this year and was on DLA for years.  She was awarded it for life however, when PIP came into force she had to apply for that and everything was taken off of her.  She has heart problems, had a stroke some years ago and mobility issues and recently been in hospital.  She can't wash herself or cook and clean like she used to.  Seeing as she is now over the 65 age limit for the PIP and the appeal time period has long past (two and a half years ago), we are looking into trying to get Attendance Allowance for her.  I just wanted to know what the process was with this benefit and is there any assessment etc?  She can't walk or go anywhere.   Is it based on her conditions, medication, lack of mobility etc or on how these things effect her daily life?  As I am not familiar with Attendance Allowance I need a bit of advice.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dawn, check out this recent blog post for the aid and attendance pension.

https://www.patriotangels.com/veteran-services/my-patriot-angels-story/

Contact Abigail at, she can help answer all your questions! My grandmother currently has this pension.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi I applied for AA for my mother in law about ten years ago, she was awarded it indefinitely and now at 89 doesn't have an assessment, or they have forgotten about her LOL its easier to apply for compared to PIP but I think harder to get due to it being for over 65s where you are getting older and suffering more age related issues and sadly old age is not an automatic requisite for AA.

Best thing I can advise you to do is get the forms and fill them out and get as much medical back up you can possibly get, remember one thing though its like PIP, its not about heart conditions etc. Its about the amount of care she needs on a daily basis and we had to show that she was actually needing the care which is different to PIP

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice, most of her conditions are not just age related as she has so many things wrong with her.  Just this morning I was looking through the long list of medication she is on and it's ridiculous! Her knees are crumbling she recently found out.  It seems every time she goes to the doctors she is diagnosed with something else on top of everything she has got.  If it's like PIP as far as applying goes I will be able to help her with that as I had to do that for my son.  As far as proving she needs the care and gets it, as it stands at the moment she has family members pop in helping her all the time.  She lives with her husband but he works and has a couple of years left before he retires.  Her grandson lives with them and helps out and her children help her out also.  After this last hospital emergency they have decided they need a bungalow with a wet room as she just can't manage the stairs and getting in and out of the bath etc.  She has had many falls, has trouble with her balance and is very forgetful so needs help with her medication.  There is just so much lol.  I think her medical history has been requested but I will have to double check.  Hopefully we can get the ball rolling for her as she is definitely entitled to something.

• Posted

Good luck, just remember her volume of tablets will not be something that will make sure she gets AA as I said its how her medical reports confirm her need for care, u don't get mobility with AA either

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.