Adviced needed about benefit please.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I sent a message before about applying for JSA even though i left my job.

Well i applied for JSA on Monday 13th and had an appointment with the jobcentre on the 14th , I told the job centre my job description changed hence why i left my job, they asked me to fill in a piece of paper with my managers name and contact number and how long i was at the job and reason for leaving... I am assuming to check up on me.

Anyways, i completed it and was given my next appointment at the job centre... I was told it would be sent to a decision maker.. Anyways on Wednesday 15th i got a text message from DWP saying it will take a week for a decision unless more info is needed.

I have been asking the supervisor of my old work have they received a call from DWP and they hadnt... so nothing from the whole week.

Yesterday i got another text message saying this:

"Your first payment of JSA will be about £120 this will be paid on 29th Nov. We dont pay the first 7 days of your claim.

After this first payment you will get about £336 every 2 weeks.

You must continue to attend the job centre" 

I am assuming i was accepted, my question is does that amount include my PIP? I get daily living standard paid every 4 weeks.

I have never known JSA to be roughly £336 a fortnight, i am assuming that include 2 weeks PIP, (even though PIP is paid every 4 weeks)

Please advise.

I hope you all had a good weekend..

Natalie 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Thank you for responding.

No i do not, I live with parents.

• Posted

Yes i thought you did. Ok, your PIP payment will always be paid seperate to any other benefits you have, so don't count that in this.

I believe you're being paid too much and this is how i've work out your money.

£73.10 JSA per week

£32.55 disability premium because of your PIP claim (per week)

£62.45 severe disability premium. Total per week £168.10 x2 = £336.20. Which is what you're recieving.

The Severe disability premium should only be paid if you're living alone and because you live with your parents it means you don't qualify. For some odd reason they have added this to your JSA when infact they shouldn't have. I would advice you to ring DWP first thing Monday morning and tell them this. If you don't eventually you'll end up with a huge overpayment for money you shouldn't have been claiming. I know it's their mistake but the responsibility is yours to make sure you're recieving the correct amount.

• Posted

Forgot to add, so the amount you're being overpaid is £62.45 per week. That's an awful lot of money and builds up very quickly. please call them Monday.

• Posted

Thank you Denise. I did think something was wrong. When i was asked on the phone and at the jobcentre i said live with parents.

I first thought it included my PIP was if i divided that by 2 and added it onto the JSA and disability pre, it comes near to £320.

I have not received anything but i will call tomorrow morning.

Thank you. 

• Posted

You're welcome! PIP will always be paid seperately and is every 4 weeks. JSA is every 2 weeks. I'm glad you did notice because overpayments are scary and they onlt have to be paid back. If you're like me i'd rather have the correct money to begin with that have to pay back something in the end.

Take care Natalie x

• Posted

You are very good Denise, you're always spot on and willing to advise people, this site is very lucky to have you on board xx

Now me, I'm about as much use as a chocolate teapot lol 

• Posted

Thanks sukes! These benefits and premiums are very complex. Haha chocolate teapot lol xx
  • Posted

So, i made the phone call and only took 11 minutes smile. First person i spoke too directed me to someone else that deals with premiums, I spoke to that lady and she asked if my parents got PIP or if i have a carer and both are no. She said she will get someone to look into the claim and contact me if changes need to be done. 
    • Posted

That's good. Yes because your parents don't claim PIP theirself it means that you won't qualify for the premium unfortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.