Advise after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i’m 8 weeks post op can anyone tell me first if it is ok to lay on your tummy also is it ok to take Cod Liver Oil ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

There's no reason why you can play anyway you want your body soon tells you if it's wrong I am 9 weeks post 2nd leg TKR and thus time i am able to turn and lay anyway i want Also take cos liver oil tablets 😁

• Posted

Hi Joan thanks for the reply,are you in the UK ? i’m struggling with discomfort and bad nerve pain especially at night should this still be happening it’s eeally worrying me
  • Posted

I am also almost 8 weeks after TKR--my therapist has me lying on my stomach for 2 weeks now so I can do leg bends--I use a therapy strap(I purchased one on amazon) like she used,lay on my stomach, and put my foot through the loop and pull my leg up as far as I can towards my head to get a good stretch and help with flexion. I cant see any reason you cant take cod-liver oil-but I don't know what meds you take so you should look it up on web M.D. to see if it would interfere with any of your meds or not.

I am working on my extension--I am at -1, but due to my pronation of my foot and leg she feels I probably won't be able to get to 0--but she feels I really am at 0.  My flexion is at 112--she would like me to get to 120 degrees--don't know if that is possible as I feel like it just wont go beyond that--I practice heel slides and ride my exercise bike and have been able to pedal all the way around--my knee continues to ache when I pedal and it continues to ache throughout the day when I am sitting for a long time--or it just hits randomly? I know it is hard not to compare your progress with others progress.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying.

I’ve only actually seen PT once because of a mix up at the hospital,I knew I had to push threw the pain so i to have been riding my bike and been able to do full circle at 4 weeks post op.

When i did go PT she was astonished at my flexion and bend at 120 I don’t get to do much walking but do my or exercise 3 times a day and also my bike 3 times.

I’m just struggling with the pain i’m in still the nights are unbearable with nerve pain,it is really nice to hear from someone that is at a similar stage good luck to you and thank you again x

• Posted

Are you using Ice frequently--especially after doing any exercises and returning home after PT.  Also-be sure to massage your knee with either Bio-Oil of a good moisturizing lotion--do this frequently-massage under the knee-over the knee and to the sides (if your incision isn't totally healed as yet-do not massage on the incision. I still put ice on my knee during the day if I will be sitting for any length of time. I think you are doing fantastic with you ROM etc and riding the bike. May I ask what your age is--no problem if not.  I am going to be 75 in April--but am pretty active and involved in things--also-I try to remember if someone is doing really well and they are way younger than me-I don't feel quite so bad--lol.

• Posted

You are doing fantastic yes i am 53, and you have no reason to feel inadequate in any way u have done marvellous.

Yes I am icing 3-4 times a day and after any PT I do worry about leaving ice in for to long, I also massage at least twice daily it does bring relief I also use a hot water bottle as I don’t have any swelling in the knee now just the bloody pain.

Well done fir doing so well and thank you for the advice x

• Posted

I am 13 weeks and still have nerve pain at night. Very seldom do I get to sleep more then three hours. My Dr told me to expect it till at least six months. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi 6 months really ?? OMG i’ve had enough already.

I think it’s worse because I was called in on a cancellation before christmas so never had any information about what to expect I knew it wouldn’t be a wall in the park excuse the pun lol but never expected anything like this.

I’ve been told i need the left knee done as well but honest don’t think i want to.

• Posted

I agree I’m nearly two years down and if I could turn back time I would and not have it done.

I had to have it all opened up again at the beginning of January to have a button inserted between the patella and the prosthetic knee.

This was because I was in such a lot of pain and was practically crippled from the TKR.

It’s early days with this new op but I really wish I could have my old knee back.

All this has affected my general health greatly and I can’t believe that I was so gullible that I thought I would be fine in six weeks.

Xx

• Posted

I would presume it’s ok to take cod liver oil. As for lying on your tummy I suggest you put a pillow under your knee just in case. Were you given a leg  brace to wear to protect your knee?

I was but it was so uncomfortable to sleep in I could only use it in the daytime x

• Posted

Hi mary

I feel your pain so much,bless you i hope things improve for you.

No i have no leg brace just doing by pt exercises as advised

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.