advise needed

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi folks, I have been recently been seen to by a gastro surgeon to correct a hiatal hernia i have been suffering with for 3 years,  I am 30 years old and I am of average weight.  I was a little disappointed after my consultation as I feel he is going to try everything to avoid the surgery, I would rather have the surgery and get on with my life as normal but now I feel its getting dragged on for longer, he wants to do a tube test to test the level of acidity and a drink/xray test.  Is this normal? I feel like he isnt taking my symptoms as serious as they are?

Thanks guys

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Kyla,

I'm unfamiliar with the treatment of hiatal hernias, but I have been reading a bit about it and I think it's common to do an x-ray to check it out.

How were you diagnosed 3 years ago? Is it a sliding hernia you've got?

• Posted

Hi David I was diagnosed through endoscopy and now I need a barium swallow xray to see if the pain is caused by the hernia or an issue with my esophagus  
    • Posted

Ah OK, I see. I imagine checking out your eophagus is useful as well, as you say to rule out it being the culprit.

What isn't clear to me is how can they determine what is causing you pain.

I mean, you have the hiatus hernia and that can be the source of pain. Then a check on the esophagus is carried out to see whether it's normal or not. Say that they find it irritated, for example. Then you might say it's the esophagus, and maybe some meds could help.

Something like that it's logical, one must try non invasive routes first. But I'm sure over 3 years you've been given meds, and if you're still having pain it should be clear enough what is causing it?

• Posted

Yes I am on medication for a long time, which works some days and not the other. I'm only 30 of normal weight and I feel at the end of my tether now.

• Posted

Can't you get a second opinion? Not sure where you are based, I know for a fact it's not always easy as not all countries grant patients the right of having a second opinion...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.