Advise on medication please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All

This is my first post on the site. Quite anxious about the internet forum world but really need help from like minded people who are suffering with the same or similiar conditions. 

I saw my psycharitrist, and he recognises that i have bipolar and discussed with me the possible interventions and medication avaliable.

I asked him to give me the names of a seletion of medications i can take so I can decide before taking them

He told me that i can either be prescibed Valproate, Lithium or Quetiapine.

From your personal experience (both bad and good) which one has had more of a success in your life

I just want to feel normal and to be able function without the constant battle of my mood swings

Look forward to your reply

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

You mentioned Valproate, Lithium or Quetiapin.  I have had bipolar for years and have been on a variety of meds, its a bit of trial and error finding the right combination for each individual.  Of the three that you menioned the only one I've been on is Valproate, which stabilised me and I eventually came off as I felt I no longer needed it.  HOwever, thats not to say I gave up on my meds completely, I'm still on an SSRI anti-depressant called citalopram, an anti-psychotic called Risperidone and diazepam for anxiety.  I can't say with certainty which med it was, but one of them caused me to gain a lot of weight.  I'm stable now and have been for years, with no side effecst apart from thew weight gazin, and oh yes, emotional flattening.  I wouldn't allow any of these two side effects to put you opff as I feel so much better and am reazlly content.

I hope you get sorted out

xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response Lizzie. It seems weight gain is quite consistant amongst most of these medications, i guess I just have to try and seem how I go.  thank you for your imput and will take all on board when chosing smile 
  • Posted

Hi, I started quetiapine and lithium last may 2013 and it changed my and more importantly my family's life for the better.It took about 6 months to get used to the rigidity of taking the lithium at the same time each day and tailoring the quetiapine if i want to stay up later at night cos within 30mins of taking it i'm comatosed for 10-12hrs (always been a lightweight when it comes to sleep !!!!) I am hitting a few side-effect issues at present the one beginning to affect my mental well-being is subtle weight gain ,constipation and feeling cold all the time so i have my gp appt on Thurs.I have written lots of stuff on here as it gives me a voice,esp when i'm a bit low which i am at the moment,however the best advise i can give is keep communicating with family,friends,gp and psychiatrist and good luck
    • Posted

Sleep has always been a major problem for me, I can never sleep a whole night, as I wake up ever hour or so as my brain is too active, been suffering insomnia on and off (depending on where my mood cycle is) for the last 10+ years so sleeping will be a nice thing to have. Weight gain is something i would rather not have as im alreday a size 12 trying to lose weight, but I guess I have to get myself in a better mental mindset before i can work on that. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it has given my a few things to think about smile 
  • Posted

Quetiapine will make you gain a lot of weight and eat unhealthily in my experience so i would avoid that. Valproate can make you infertile so you shouldn't have been offered that if you are a young woman. Lithium is great. What about lamotrigine?
    • Posted

I was offered valpoate as i am not having any more children.  I havent heard about lamotrigine, i will look it up smile  it seems Quetiapine is the most common tablet for putting weight on so will stay clear of that one.  Right now Lithium seems to be the most postiive one i have heard or, would you say lamotrigine or lithium has been more benefical for you? kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.