Advise on Meds and don’t really understand diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Before I start I will say I have therapy tomorrow and will be speaking to my therapist about this.

So I’ve just had my millon accessment results and care plan through.

The assumed diagnosis is borderline personality disorder, WITH personality traits of schizotypal-avoident-dependant. I scored high on anxiety and somotoform, high on ptsd and high on depressive symptoms.

I already have diagnosis of anxiety and depression from years ago as my journey with mental health has been 11 years ongoing.

But I am confused as to my assumed diagnosis as as far as I am aware, BPD, schizotypal, paranoid,avoident and dependant are all different individual personality disorders.

I have a low qualification in “understanding mental health” and it is to my knowlage that schizotypal and paranoid are in cluster A of the characterised personality disorders and BPD itself is in cluster B.

So I am struggling to understand the final diagnosis of BPD when it states I have several characteristics of a combination of personality disorders.

If anyone can bring any light on this it would be appreciated, does it mean I have combination personality disorder OR bpd along with symptoms and traits of other disorders.

Also, I am on sertraline 200mg currently prescribed for my depression and anxiety.. can anyone suggest any medications ( anti phychotics or moodstabilisers) used to help combat the symptoms of BPD (preferably of the bunch that DONT make you gain weight)

Thanks 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I could have written your post myself - your story seems almost identical to mine.

The way I understand my diagnosis is that BPD is the highest whilst schizotypal, avoidant, dependant and OCD were high but not quite enough for an official diagnosis. I could be totally wrong on this though as it's a fairly recent diagnosis and I'm too frightened to ask for clarification. I have also been diagnosed clinical depression and anxiety. I have suffered with depression on and off for 30 years, since childhood.

I'm currently on Duloxetine (maximum dose) and trazadone (both antidepressants). My psychiatrist has suggested adding an antipsychotic or mood stabiliser in too but not sure which one - we'll discuss after Christmas at my next appointment. I'm also concerned about weight gain as I've recently lost 4st and want to lose another 2.

I hope you get some answers and are feeling better soon...

• Posted

That’s the way I was thinking about it, though I will ask my therapist in January so I can understand more. 

It’s overwhelming as I’ve had MH for (what seems like a life time) half of my life and have gotten comfortable with accepting clinical

Depression and anxiety as my diagnosis, in my head I think I myself personally see those two diagnosis as common and therefore (in my head) I’m not THAT unwell but now I’ve been given these other diagnosis it’s all abit wobbily like I don’t know weather I’m coming or going now as I truly thought I was “getting better” of course I know you never really cured of mental health but you can recover and I honesty felt as though I was on the most stable level I have ever been on and then I get this diagnosis and now I’m thinking that I can’t be all that “better” if it’s not just anxiety and depression anymore.

It all seems never ending, don’t mean to gloat but I really thought I was getting somewhere before this and now I’m just seeing myself as more of a failure, I’m trying to stay positive though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.