Advise please on cusions/tools to make living with the pain ejavascript:void(0);asier

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

?I work in an office and have just found out I have a slipped disc. Other than the standard treatment and drug options, what cushions and tools have fellow sufferers found useful?!

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey Sarah,

Sorry to hear that you're suffering with a slipped disc. What symptoms are you currently experiencing? I can hopefully make a recommendation for certain products or techniques that are likely to help. 

Hope it improves soon for you!

Will

• Posted

My daughter has a slipped disc. She walks a lot. She never complains. I've have had sciatica for 10 years because of two slipped discs and in a lot of pain so I can hardly recommend anything except I love yoga. But I believe Pilate's is good too which is similar to yoga.

I do take painkillers but i guess I am very old compared to you and when my back is bad I have a hot water bottle and every 3 months cortisone injections. I can't think of anything else as Ive got the t shirt for most things after 10 years living with pain.

I hate to hear of anyone with a prolapsed or slipped disc, we are not built to stand upright. Go to yoga first, learn how to pick up things off the floor, to stretch your body etc. I would really recommend yoga.

You could go to a chiropractor but I found a physio useless and she is my friend!!!

I just have hated getting old but hey if you go to yoga you will enjoy it. I think sciatica will below is going to give us exercises but remember, everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi Enna,

Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with a physio in the past. I agree that traditional physiotherapy doesn't work well for many people. 

I believe that there are many different factors to a recovery from sciatica and exercises (although important) only represent a very small stage of the recovery process. All my research and work is based on this "whole body" principle where the entire person must be considered, not just one body part or one "fix all" exercise. You can read about some of the work I've been doing with people who have sciatica on my website, via the link in my profile. 

I agree that using hot and cold therapy is really helpful for lots of people and yoga can provide real relief. Things like optimising your diet, reducing stress and finding ways to sleep better are all equally important recovery strategies. 

Best wishes,

Will

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.