Advise please, recent diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently received my stool sample results from doctor as i have been experiencing right abdominal stomach pain for quite some time (on and off).

My doctor has called me and said it seems i have inflammatory bowel disease, which as i understand is either Crohn's or ulceractive colitis.

Does anyone have any advise for me and what i need to expect, i am 22 and my dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer when he was in his 30's. So i am pretty scared what this could mean for me as i understand this raises your chances. 

thank you.

Lauren 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Lauren

So sorry to hear about your problems, and I can totally relate to you regarding your fears and worries considering your past history.

Can you remember the exact test you had done on your stools. For the doctor to say that it seems you have inflammatory bowel disease the I'm guessing it was the faecal calprotectin test. This test is not conclusive on it's own, and will require other lines of investigation. Depending on where you experience the majority of your pain you will more than likely be sent for a endoscopy, colonoscopy and/or small bowel MRI, with biopsies taken during the scope(s) to look for signs of inflammation scarring if the cause isn't obvious.

I've done quite a bit of research into faecal calprotectin after I had two, quite high calprotectin results in separate stool samples. Calprotectin is an indicator of inflammation anywhere along your gut, and your gut is defined by being the full digestive tract from your mouth to your anus. Yes, IBD can cause positive calprotectin results, however my research have discovered that there are so many other causes, sore throat, stomach ulcers, inflamed haemorrhoids, food allergy and intolerance reactions, certain medications and gastroenteroitis to name some. My follow up colonoscopy with biopsies after getting the positive calprotectin results came back fine, apparently my rectum, colon and terminal ileum looked very healthy and the biopsies were fine. One doctor has said that there could be a small chance of IBD of the small bowel, and two other doctors have said that IBD is extremely unlikely. I've changed my diet in recent months as after having an intolerance test done, it found that I was intolerant to dairy products, sesame seeds and yeast. I submitted a stool sample on Friday to see if the calprotectin levels have reduced, if they have then great I know why these levels are raised, if not then I guess the next step is a small bowel MRI.

If a diagnosis of IBD is confirmed you will be put on medication, usually steroids, to get you into remission, I can also imagine you will have regular check ups to keep an eye on your insides. As long as it is dealt with early you shouldn't have to experience any severe complications, and could live a very normal life, however surgery is usually an option to remove severely affect parts of your bowels.

Not actually being diagnosed with IBD myself I can give you a full insight into what your life may bring, but my fears of having it have made me do quite a bit of research so I had an idea what to expect, and this knowledge I thought I'd share with you. I do wish you all the best for a positive future, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.