Advise regarding Benepali Pen and AS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Need some advise - My fiancee is 35 years old and a farmer.  Has been diagnosed with AS and has been on the Benepali injection for 5 weeks.  His symptoms of tireness and fagitue has got a lot worse over the past 2 weeks.  Is this normal on the injection and it is supposed to take up to 12 weeks for the injection to work, is this one of the common side effects?  We dont have a crystal ball, but can anyone share some common effects from the injection and give us some hope that this will pass and the injection will work??????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm afraid I don't know the answer. I may just be fortunate but have been taking for 6 months this with no ill effects. My fatigue eased from the first injection, as did my stiffness. However they do say it can take 6 minutes nth s to achieve maximum effect. If he is trying to do what he did before illness, he will have worsening fatigue. You still need to pace yourself and rest intermittently. I work as a nurse on a busy ward, my days off are spent recovering because I push myself to far. It will come back and bite you. If you have damage already, you will still get pains from the damage. If he is lucky and has no damage yet, then the injections should provide very good relief. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for your time in your response. It's Nigel's busy time of year with Harvest. He's working from 6am to 10pm with little rest unless it rains. It's the worst time of year to start this treatment but he needed some Hope. You must find it awfully frustrating and draining. Thank you again and I hope by mid September the injections will help him.

• Posted

HI Vicky, my daughter is on her 7th week of Benepali. It is so far not being effective and her quality of life is nil. Hoping this situation improves, they do say it can take 2 and half to three months to see anything, it would be nice to have some sort of an encouraging sign when jabbing a needle in to yourself every week though! Not much info on Benepali but have to believe it is as effective as Enbrel, not everyone is lucky enough to respond though. Hope things improve for your fiancee. 
  • Posted

Hardly dare write it as she has had so many knock backs but it seems my daughter is now responding well to benepali, the benefits began after about ten weeks. Greatly reduced pain and fatigue. Huge relief and starting to get a bit of life back. Only writing to help others who may be feeling upset that it is not working as quickly as they had hoped. It is worth giving it the time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.