Advise regarding long haul flights

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am currently being investigated for Bronchiectasis have the physio visiting me at home this Thursday morning and CT scan in the afternoon, i know i have to deal with the condition if diagnosed, however the one thing that is really worrying me is flying.

I have booked a Cruise around Aisia for next February, we are going to Malaysia, Thailand Singapore and Vietnam so the long flight is worrying me as well as the humidity.

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts as well as advise

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i have BX because of an immune deficiency so i would never go that far or go where there are so many people I could catch an infection from.

• Posted

Hi Anne:

I have had Bronx for 20+ years and have traveled all over in Europe and South America with it. I found that long flights did not make my condition worse and neither did a long cruise I took. I did try to rest and relax as much as I could and usually aimed to arrive a day early to have a day relaxing in the hotel before a tour. On flights the mucus sort of dried up and I hardly coughed. When flying, I always used a small personal air purifier that hangs around your neck to prevent picking up an infection on a plane and drank lots of water. Only now that I have gotten very short of breath and am dependent on external oxygen are flights a real problem.

Good luck with your diagnosis and have a great trip if you decide to go ahead.

Louise

• Posted

I've given up on planes. Aside from everything else, there are all those people wearing 100 times too much perfume/aftershave, donned in clothes intended to reek for a month of chemically driven perfumes. Other people apparently aren't sent into non-stop coughing by all this, and sometimes it stops me breathing completely. That never happens otherwise. Even an hour with all these stinky people ? Not enough money on earth for me to try that.

• Posted

That will all depend on the severity of your condition and you have to get all clear from physio and your doctor. I wouldn't fly if I was you before these are done. I didnt take an airplane for years before everything was investigated. My doctor said OK so did my physio and I was reassured. I was given tips what to do in the plane, eg fanning my self and certain breathing techniques and although I'm still worried, it's a short flight to Europe and I'll stay 3 weeks to rest my lungs. I'd start with a short flight if I was you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.