Advised re leg waxing before surgery?

Posted , 10 users are following.

To the ladies out there....was anyone advised whether or not to have a leg wax before surgery?.. I've been reading that there may be a risk of infection from a cut to the skin , and that you shouldn't wax or shave........ I didn't think a wax would be any harm but maybe I'm wrong...

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda , my surgeons pre op orders were no waxing “anywhere waist down” and no shaving 7 days before surgery due to risk of infection and if I did when I came in for surgery he would not operate.. that was my experience - so I definitely didnt do any of it.. 
  • Posted

I was told that if the was an open area anywhere around my knee my dr would cancel the surgery.  My Dr is very concerned about infection in the knee, it is not easily get rid of.  My friend did get his surgery canceled for a high white count.  This operation is a doozie all by it self, I couldn't even imagine having an infection in it .  Best of wishes!

• Posted

No that right leg waxing poses a risk of infection before an op
  • Posted

I cannot remember being told anything, but I shaved my legs seven days before and then left some small delightful short bristles in place...I thought that would be ideal, as that the area was clear but no risk of small unclosed nicks! 😀😁😃

• Posted

Hi Linda I wasn’t told not to do either and did both,there was nothing in my paperwork regarding this either,but it maybe worth calling to confirm.

You could probably call pre assessment they will let you know.

Good Luck x

• Posted

No was not told this but makes sense. I waxed the day before op !
  • Posted

Yes Linda I was told not to shave, wax or epilate the legs 7 days before or after surgery. As if you would even consider 7 days after!! I was to consumed with painkillers, exercises & icing to think about hairy legs!!

Yet again the medical profession gives conflicting advice!

Go with what you've been told.  

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

They never mentioned it at all........if they had rules they prob would have said something ,,,,, maybe I'll squeeze it in t ommorrow, which gives me 6 days pre op,,,,not far off seven,,

• Posted

Okay so I'm a bloke and just the thought of waxing makes me cringe, however I did ask the pre-op nurse when should I shave my leg before surgery and her reply was DO NOT SHAVE or your operation will be cancelled.  This was backed up later in my pre-op pack.  I would check it out with the hospital before doing anything. I've had a couple of operations in the past and each time I was told to shave myself but not this time 

• Posted

Prior to knee surgery it is important to ensure you have no open wounds anywhere on your body. Shaving and waxing your legs (or any body region) can create openings for bacteria and infection to enter your body. Infection anywhere in your body can find it's way to the new implants and the body is unable to fight them on the artificial surfaces. Infection would be disastrous and no risk should be taken.  My UKR procedure demanded a full dental inspection followed by a 3 week wait to ensure there could be no infection originating from my mouth and I have excellent dental health. If you are having knee replacement surgery the hair on your legs is the last thing you should be worried about.   

• Posted

That is interesting ...I did think that it was surprising no one looked in my mouth prior to surgery. I used to be a dental nurse many moons ago, and having seen the state of some people's gums and knowing how bad periodontal disease can get, in terms of infection it seemed the most likely common source to my mind.

I have good oral hygiene, and though asked about dental health, it was not formally checked. Many people with gum disease may not think of it as a dental problem worth flagging up.

• Posted

My understanding is that oral health is important to good overall health. Many problems stem from poor oral hygiene. Some people belief a good flossing routine in itself can add years to your life. The mouths close proximity to the brain makes it especially important to look after. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.