Aerophagia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Aerophagia,,

could Aerophagia be the reason people are suffering from IBS. Having read about it it can be caused by Depression .

But what comes first , surly people would get depressed if constantly in pain . loose dentures ,bad teeth, not chewing food properly, gulping down food, talking with there mouth full. all causing Bad Wind . plus amylase, lipase. the digestive enzymes in the mouth to aid with digestion , then constipation or diarrhea,

then on top of all that pain killers. indigestion remedies . to which makes it all worse , hemorrhoids ,altered bowel movements, gallbladder working overtime trying to aid with digestion with bile.

Simple cure maybe not . but might be a help . just to look how people eat . just me but i think it is Wind in Stomach that moves around the stomach that causes the pain , right side ,left side, bottom of stomach .top belly.

plus a lot of medication people take for other illness. Aspirin a big one. plus many more .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Swallowing air does not cause ibs. However it is correct that not chewing food properly and eating too fast are bad for your digestion

• Posted

I got IBS because of stress and anxiety but was not depressed, nor did my diet cause it.

• Posted

hi pippa . are you taking any tabs for your anxiety . your right though stress does cause it. mine eating rice, mash spuds .lol

• Posted

No, I don't take anything for anxiety because the anxiety tends only to come in bouts and I am calm most of the time. I tend to be very sensitive to medications and the thought of risking side effects, really puts me off trying anti anxiety tablets. I tend to avoid things that cause me stress which isn't always the best thing because I know I will have to tackle them eventually.However, avoidance tactics do help me in the short ter . Writing limericks about stressful incidents really helps me take the annoyance out of the situations and really gives me a boost.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I agree with a lot of what you say. I suffer badly from IBS and have have other health problems. I don't eat alot and I take medication for pain, which only started the IBS to get worse after taking the medication. But i can't stop taking the meds for pain reasons. I have just started to treat myself using alovera etc.. and have noticed a massive difference. Something I think people should look into. I also suffer from severe anxiety and take medication for that. Stress and depression im sure have played a massive part of my IBS .

• Posted

Hi cheri .when in pain , no wonder you are in Stress & anxiety , that alone would make people depressed . but my gynecologist just told me buy some IBS tablets Colpermin IBS relief Capsules , maybe not a cure but they do seem to help , & cut down on fermentable foods whatever they are he didn't say , sprouts and fruit is my interpretation of fermented food. they cause lot of gas in the stomach Trapped wind moves around the stomach as it being digested , how many people get taken by ambulance to A&E thinking they are having heart attack but it was just trapped wind .I say just but it is very painful.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

Did you see a dietitian? I did as this IBS has been worse in the last 3 years. I've had scans and other things and they found nothing. Sprouts I'm not allowed neither. Fermented foods I have to avoid, everything i love! It's not really helping so i rarely eat. And yeah, it can feel like a heart attack. The dietitian said the same. What else have you tried? They have just given up with me. I get vitamin drinks because im not eating properly.

• Posted

Hi cheri , just try some Colpermin Capsules. they sell them at the chemist they are about £6 . i don't think they would do you any harm, but check them out first , digestive enzymes as well . me i having a bit of success with isometric exercise of the stomach , yes i know a bit oddball thing to do but it seems to help the Peristalsis , and move things along .lol

• Posted

Thanks Anthony, I'll look into that. I've never heard of isometric exercise. I'll look into that too. Thanks! Have to try and hopefully it will help. Good luck with that. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi cheri .

best way to describe Isometric exercise is make a tight fist as hard as you can, then release very slowly , then try doing it again , you will probably find you can't squeeze just as hard next time. not a bad thing for stress as well , but not so easy with stomach takes a bit of practice , but you can do isometrics all over your body even legs, arms, but don't forget to breath as normal don't hold your breath when doing it, or you will end up fainting ,lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.