Af

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well home from the hospital and it's good news for  me, all is fine with the ticker , cardiologists said I had a episode but heart beat strong and normal, lungs are good so off all my meds no more inr,s  going to give it a week to clear my system then me n the mrs are going out for a bloody good drink Guinness of course. Made a choice to not go back on the fags after ten weeks Im cured of the addiction one good things come out of this scare. They think my injections I take for my arthritus every week made my immune system weak and brought on the problem so it's good night from me, and it's good night from him

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I hate to be the voice of doooom but do go easy on the Guinness - booze can bring an AF attack on very quickly. And well done for quitting the fags, keep off the darn things!
    • Posted

Oh I will don't worry just buzzing tonight that's all
  • Posted

Well done great feeling!!! i know... And i Agree Guiness isthe right choice (and apparently along with trad ales, good for hearts, enjoy the night but (be carefull he says very quietly) And of course fags - as an ex pipe smoker and rollies - gave up over 20 years ago - you can do it! 
  • Posted

Hi Popeye, Great news, so glad that you feel much better, and that you are off the fags!! I first posted on the site 4 months ago after a very frightening episode of fast heart beat, 189bpm and a very irregular pulse. I ended up in A and E, and then coronary care. I was diagnosed with AF and as it didn't disappear during my stay it was the permanent kind. I was given bisoprolol 5mg, twice a day, digoxin and warfarin, they eventually made the AF bearable but only after two visits to A and E and a few visits to the docs where they tweaked the meds. Anyway, eventually after 4 months of waiting to hear from my cardiologist I was put on the waiting list for a cardioversion. 3 weeks ago I had a phone call to say there had been a cancellation and I was offered the procedure the following week. I must admit to being a bit scared, (I have major white coat syndrome) but I went for it. I am pleased to say that after the 3rd 'shock' my sinus rhythm was restored and I have felt so much better. I had experienced really bad bouts of tiredness and breathlessness, which I had put down to the bisoprolol, a lot of people say they have similar side effects, now I feel fine so I am convinced the 'tiredness' was down to the AF. To anyone due to have a cardioversion, don't worry and don't be scared, it's really not so bad. Well, popeye, enjoy your Guiness and hope that you stay well, Bottoms up!!!
    • Posted

The same back to you lankylass, really happy for you I to was due the cardio version then they found the old swinging brick had gone back into sinus on it's own.since I've been off the meds getting back to normal whatever that is looking forward to my Guinness this weekend, saved it for a treat give meds time to clear my system, hope now you have had the cardio version you to will be back to full health and enjoy life . This was my first time of hearing or experiencing af Iand I must admit I never want to shake hands again with it. I will be staying on this forum just to chat and try and help people so chin up enjoy life and have a healthy xmas
    • Posted

Good news. Are you still on Bisoprolol or other meds?
    • Posted

Hi Derek, Not sure whether or not the question was for me or Popeye (great name) but at the moment I am still on the meds. My cardioversion was 16th October, I was told to stay off the digoxin 2 days before they did the procedure and if it worked not to take it anymore, (unless it came back!!). The nurse who did the procedure told me to continue with the Warfarin and the bisoprolol, (5mg morning and evening) until my appointment with the cardiologist, I see him on the 23rd November and the arythmia nurse who did the procedure on the 28th November. I think that if I stay in sinus rhythm he will probably tell me to stop taking the warfarin, someone has mentioned this on this site. I actually still want to stay on a small dose of beta blocker as it reduces my anxiety, I was never really an anxious person but I think it sort of creeps up on you as you get older, (I am 63) and have noticed that my blood pressure goes up a couple of notches in 'stressful situations) e.g. getting to the airport when going on holiday!! I do feel like my old self again, (pre June 25th 2014 when all this started), I hope that I fall into the '50% of people' that don't fall back into AF after a year. My fingers and toes are crossed as I write this!! Good luck and stay healthy. Cheers. 
    • Posted

Hi Lankylass (what a great name)

It was you that I replied to but Popeye evidently thought it was him.

They said that I should stay on Bisoprolol and warfarin. I pointed out that I normally have a slow heart rate (it was 38 first thing this morning and is 43 now at 11pm)  The Matron checked with the Cardio who said to stop taking it.

Everyones BP goes up in stressful stuations and nowadays where is more stressful than an airport. Usually the journey to the airport is stressful as well. You leave in plenty of time and things always go wrong no matter which country you are in, I could write a book on it:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.