Af

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back out of hospital from saturday .my list of meds is endless and mind boggling.after nearly 3 days in this time seen e cardiologists .so new meds also water retention was the big issue lost nearly 13.pounds in 3 days and still more to come off.looking at least 2 months off work bug so what lets get me back to normal worry about money when i have too.if i aint got it i carnt pay it simple its all about me and my family this time

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I lost 5kg due to fluid retention at first as well.

Have you been told about the importance of having and maintaining allow sodium diet?(I suspect you probably have).

The more salt you consume, the more your body wants too hang on to fluid to maintain the osmotic balance that your body requires.

I thought I had a fairly low sodium diet until I started looking at the sodium levels on the labels.

I was told to consume no more than 1500 mg of sodium a day.

basically, nearly everything was too salty! Vita-Brits was too salty, so I changed to a more acceptable cereal, bread was too salty, so I started baking my own in a bread machine. 

Now that my AF is back up to 54%,I'm not as rigorous with it, but still keep a fairly close eye on it all.

If your weighing yourself daily, you can really see the impact that a salty(normal) meal has on your fluid retention, and therefore, your weight.

I hated the low sodium diet at first,it took forever to do the shopping!

But once you get a bit of a repitior built up it gets easier.

• Posted

I lost a stone which was lovely. I check my weight each day to check that it is staying steady. When I had the heart failure I noticed that my weight was going up by two pound a day so easy to notice. It takes some time to get your head round it. Reading the info on theAF Association h oped me.
    • Posted

Hi judith i totally agree i never thought i would have a stone of fluid in me and still more to come off bizarre how the body works
  • Posted

Popeye. how did you lose the water????  I seem to be getting fatter by the day now its summer. I only take amiodarone, tis is a side effect . . huh.
    • Posted

Dontt know jay while in hospital it was injected in liquid form didnt feel i was losing weight but i was.as for weeing not so much more but a lot more in volume.just at the moment carnt keep food down just been sick again 10 mins ago.its a horrible road this af
  • Posted

Hi guys, thought I'd weigh in on this one (pardon the pun!).

I was perscribed Frusemide tablets when I left hospital. I was told to take two if I suddenly gained a couple of kilograms.

have only had to use them a few times though, as I've been able to manage my sodium intake fairly well (full credit to my wife for this though)!

i found that I needed to take these tablets when I ate a 'normal' meal at a friend's place or ate out at a resurant etc.

Frusemide makes you pee like a racehorse! 

It's good though to get rid of the excess fluid as it's puts extra strain on your heart, which of course, is not a good thing for people like us.

hope this helps.

• Posted

Just a quickie carnt stop throwing up nothjng is staying in me liquid or solid .may have to ring ccu find out if one of my meds dissagrees with me
    • Posted

Im a bit late into this discussion - so hope you are feeling better now.  You have had a really rough time recently. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.