Af

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is my personal opinion on afib it's classed as heart failure go to cardio rehab they will tell you the same.the opinion seems to be it won't kill you I dispute that statement I had constant af for nearly 7 months I ended up being brought back to life 5 times it wasn't because I smoked which I had stopped 12 months prior.it wasn't how I sat on the sofa or drank to much tea or how I blew my nose.it was down to atrial filibrilation that nearly put me into the big oven.i hate my af it's my worst enemy it's a b*****d it has changed mine and my wife's life also my family's forever.i was fine up to 2014 the last 4 years have been a living hell so yes af can kill you it totally changes your life .how many of you with af can walk up any sort of gradeant big or small without gasping for breath if you answer I can then you ain't got af ..

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It’s not heart failure, it’s heart arrhythmia 
  • Posted

I’ve looked a bit more into it, I can see where you’re coming from. AF can lead to heart failure long term and higher risk of stroke and pooling of blood, but it’s not heart failure per se 
    • Posted

A up mazza44 my cardio rehab told me it's under the heart failure umbrella and after being brought back to life 5 tines I will go with their wordings.

• Posted

Hi...i also have same problem last 4 year. Dr said its anxiety but i said its heart oroblem. My ecg echo is normal. But i often feel gasping. Can not do exercise or jogging. I m 37 year old male. I can walk 13 mint per kilometter. Do you think i have af. I m smoker. Do u think i will hv heart failure. When i take rest after walk my heart sinking badly. I told many times to my cardiologist but he always said i m ok hsart is ok. No i burn thousands of dollars in treatment and dr fees but no improvement. Many cardiologist check my and said its anxiety. Please please please answer me what i have and what i do. Thanks alot
  • Posted

What medications are you on ? Several of the AF ones can cause shortness of breath and tiredness. Bisoprolol is the favourite for that but amiodarone is even worse as it affects you for years after stopping it.
  • Posted

Hi Popeye

You said

how many of you with af can walk up any sort of gradeant big or small without gasping for breath if you answer I can then you ain't got af ..

This is simply not true. Sir Steve Redgrave and Paula Radcliffe both have AF and are, or were, world class athletes. I feel very sorry for you that AF affects you in this way but think that it should be recognised that many people can live with AF and exercise. Myself included. In fact my Cardiologist strongly recommended that I continue my sports when I was diagnosed. I think it’s a shame to blankly tell people ‘you ain’t got AF’ when I do and I can continue to be active. 

I think we we should support each other whatever form our AF takes.

• Posted

Hi...i also have same problem last 4 year. Dr said its anxiety but i said its heart oroblem. My ecg echo is normal. But i often feel gasping. Can not do exercise or jogging. I m 37 year old male. I can walk 13 mint per kilometter. Do you think i have af. I m smoker. Do u think i will hv heart failure. When i take rest after walk my heart sinking badly. I told many times to my cardiologist but he always said i m ok hsart is ok. No i burn thousands of dollars in treatment and dr fees but no improvement. Many cardiologist check my and said its anxiety. Please please please answer me what i have and what i do. Thanks alot
    • Posted

Smoking elevates HR.... if all tests are normal and your still having symptoms return to see GP
  • Posted

Im with Mazza. I asked my cardiologist if I had heart failure. No was the reply. But, it can lead to cardiac complications if it persists untreated long term. If that happens, then I will deal with that too. Im going into my 5th year living with PAF. Some days I can take on stairs, hills, long walks etc with no problem. Other days, like right now infact, yes, breathless. Ive had to change lifestyle habits, eating and drinking habits, work and career due to AF, but in that too, Ive got past letting AF rule my life completely. Theres only one certainty from the second we take our first mortal breath - one of these fine days will be our last! AF is a totally pain in the derriere and some days are horrendous but LIFE is what we make of it. At least I know that Ive lived, been fortunate to have free medical support in the UK and Ive done my best to deal with AF as best I can. Its hard sometimes for sure but none of us should let it beat us totally.
    • Posted

• Posted

Popeye,

I feel your pain. I’m sorry aFib has had such a negative effect on your life. It affects us all in different ways. I was diagnosed with new onset paroxysmal aFib in January of this year, have had one electric cardioversion and am now on Tikosyn and Eliquis.

However, I ride my bike 25-30 miles every day in Florida’s summer heat, my BP and HR are normal, and I rarely feel any symptoms of my aFib. I have been in constant NSR since beginning Tikosyn in May (knock on wood!) FWIW, I am a 69 year old male in otherwise good health.

Although you didn’t indicate which medications you were taking, I would highly recommend that you seek the services of a good EP who can assess your condition and get you on a treatment plan to give you relief from your current stressful perspective. AFib is manageable and many continue to live a relatively normal life with this condition. I think you will find forums like this can be a wonderful resource which can provide information and support.

I wish you improved health.

Patrick

• Posted

• Posted

It’s a highly individual thing. I had first afib episode last August following two months of extreme anxiety. And I had another seven episodes in the past whole year. I would say I had gone through hell. But my afib only happened exclusively when I was sleeping. I bet there’s something going on when I was asleep. I refused to take any med that doctors gave me and I was fired by some doctors because I didn’t go the route that they wanted me to go. I believe my body has its ability to heal. I eat very healthy, i treat sleep apnea with a mouthpiece, I exercise and lose weight. Now I can run 5 miles a day, drink dark roasted black coffee 32 oz straight, take long distance travel and vacation and also all kinds of activities that I used to do. I haven’t had afib for a few months by following this regime instead of monthly episodes before. I believe there’s something, to each different person, that the medical society has been overlooked. There’s no a fits all solution, but there’s something we can do.
    • Posted

I’ve read somewhere there is a link between AF and sleep apnoea, pleases you’re feeling better 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.