AF

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had had two episodes of a crushing heavy weight on my chest and throat, it travelled to my left shoulder, jaw and ear. It only lasted about 30mins each time. First time was when i was relaxed waching TV, Second time was during the night. It has not happened again, but over past week my heart was skipping beats, felt loud in my ears. As though it was pounding out my chest. No pain, just annoying. Went to GP who said I had an irregular heartbeat. I was asked to go to Hospital where they took bloods, done my blood pressure and ECGs. It happens most days, but not 24/7. It only missed beats whilst in my GPs, not the hospital. The hospital doctor said i probably have AF. I have to get a heart monitor for 24hrs and they will see from there if it is. I really think it is just stress causing this. Or could it be AF?

aabb

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Oh dear - sympathies - it isn't fun. I went through a lot of this when they thought I had a serious genetic heart problem. I don't; I have a related condition which is annoying but not life-threatening.

I doubt there is much it is possible for anyone outside to say about the detail of such a case, only it may be worth mentioning that doctors rightly get concerned about more significant possibilities first, and that it is often worth ruling out anything that might get serious without treatment even if the chances aren't that high. My impression from being a patient (I'm not a medical professional) is that there are a surprising number of harmless but annoying arrhythmias.

As for what stress can and can't cause, let alone what it actually is or isn't causing: that is a wasp's nest and a half, and I am not sure that anyone actually has any answers!

• Posted

thank you for getting back to me. the missed heart beats etc haven't happened in a week now. It is not always 24/7. I am confident it is probably just stress related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.