AF and dental work

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went to see a dietitian today and he advised me to seriously consider having my metal fillings out and also my root canal taken out the reasons been that the metal fillings can poison your system and the root canal can become infected and the toxins around the root canal can be linked to heart problems - does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of such a thing. But I would get a second opinion!

• Posted

Dental problems are linked to heart disease (you can google it) and AF patients should have regular dental check ups as should patients about to undergo heart surgery..
  • Posted

Not  credible in the sense that there is any of agreement on this and those that do promote changing out filings tend not to be doctors or real researchers. That said, if the money doesn't matter, probably no harm, plus white filings might look better, but I certainly wouldn't do it because ou felt you had to. The root canal thing I don't understand. No metal there as far as I know. What are they going to do once they pull the filling out? Leave a hole?

I'd pull that dietician before my fillings smile

Jim

• Posted

Absolute rubbish, who did you consult? A witch doctor??. Lol
  • Posted

with the root canal the thinking is that appx 10% of root canals fail which then causes infection, this infection then has a knock on effect to the rest of the body ??? I think with the fillings it’s that the mercury levels in the body increase ??? I’m just starting to look into this so don’t quote me on it 
    • Posted

A root canal is done to stop an infection. It is one of many options including a bridge, pulling the tooth, and an implant. Each has it's pro's and con's depending on the individual situation. A root canal is the closet option to your own tooth but if it fails then you go  to another option.

Jim

• Posted

Got to say, I have some recollection of a relationship between dental issues and cardiac issues, but Im blowed if I can drag it out of my memory where Ive read it!! Used to study physiology and anatomy a million years back, so likely then! Worth exploring more, but dont wreck your teeth and cause worse issues without loads more info Id suggest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.