af and ectopics

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello people.

Ive been sufferig from ectopic beats for well over 12 years now.

i recently went to my docs and asked for a check up to see if alls well, and had a 7 day holter fitted.

Apprently some AF,s were picked up and im going to have a heart scan on the 17th of this month.

Ive also been on Citalopram for years, which helps with the stress/ anxiety this causes.

because of the AF im now back into panic mode.

I cant understand how this happens i live a really healthy life and swim 50 0r more lengths most days , plus other exercise.

The doctor has  mentioned an ablation, not too sure about this procedure to be honest.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm on the ablation route right now, and counting down to go in. You are physically significantly more active than me, but AF doesn't seem fussy which end of the scale you fall. I am PAF, take verapamil, and just recently rivaroxaban in preparation for ablation. No idea why I've got PAF. Other than if I over eat, no idea what triggers my attacks, which are often min of 7 hrs and have been up to 26 hrs. Welcome to the forum - lots of support here and useful information to consider.
  • Posted

Side-effects of Citalopram seem to be the very thing it's supposed to prevent.
  • Posted

Should have added that my PAF is caused by my BP meds. which unfortunately I can't give up but Ifound one that reduces the episodes, So if your PAF come after the Citalopram it could be significant.
  • Posted

I dont know if you have seen this Bob, about my ablation, but if not its worth reading & also serious consideration..i dont wish to cause any fright with the post, but i think everyone thinking of an ablation should be very aware of what can go wrong.

• Posted

I have just been referred for an AV node ablation today.
    • Posted

Hi derek

is an AV node ablation the same as "point to point ablation" ?

• Posted

Hi there people.

the ectopics started well before the citalopram and are even worse without it, as i go into stress anxiety mode.

No side effects at all from them either as far as im aware, the doctors always trying to get me off them or to cut down, im only on 20 mgs a day, and i know of people on a lot more, they seem to keep me on an even keel.

i did have flecanide to begin with, but they eventually failed to work, and im sure made my ectopics worse in the long run.

This is why im loathed to have anything messing around with my heart meds, ablations etc, as they can cause further complications and for them to go way and then come back would be a double nightmare.

Like i say i live a really healthy lifestyle 50 lengths of the pool most days, no caffiene alcohol, smoking, i watch all i eat too, no junk etc.

i also get no symptoms except that they really wind me up

They are just bloody annoying.

Still lets see what the scan throws up?

And thanks for all your repliessmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.