Posted , 7 users are following.

does anyone here suffer from AF and IBS

when my IBS is bad it flips me into AF 

any help out there please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

There seems to be a link between digestive / stomach problems that is quite often covered on this web site you might like to check it out. Start with AF and the vagus nerve. Certainly I believe there is a link. Adjusting my diet and using pro biotics seems to help.

• Posted

Yes - definitely a link with me and am convinced it is tied up with the vagus nerve but  but still trying to find the trigger. Cutting out caffeine, dark chocolate, alcohol and spicy foods seems to help
    • Posted

I absolutely agree with you.  I've cut out wheat and dairy because those two culprits make me bloat up. So, I eat gluten free products nowadays and found that much better.

• Posted

Yes, I do. I find mint helps me so, I always keep a couple of bags of Uncle Joe's Mint Balls handy. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

?Quite some months after being diagnosed with paroxysmal AF I began identifying the onset of an AF event with food I'd eaten. My symptoms were bloating, burping, intestinal gurgling and diahorrea - not all at once, but any one in isolation and at random. Worst was bloating, which was always severe, painful and guaranteed to flip me into AF.

?Saw my GP who conducted some basic blood tests for Coeliac Disease and IBS. Results came back clear. GP offered to do more tests but I declined. I then went and consulted a Nutritionist. End result - I went gluten free, wheat free and oats free and over several years cut out a range of other foods from my diet. I remained AF free for nearly 3 years until 15 Feb 2018, when I woke up from sleep (lying on my left side) and found I was back in AF.

?The common denominator here was the vagal nerve - basically, an information superhighway between the brain and the heart and the digestive system ( and it also wanders around touching on other organs too).

John

• Posted

I don’t know that I can be much help, however I have colitis and afib an d find since I Was diagnosed with aflutter and afib a few months ago my colitis has been active and having a hard time controlling it.  I have seen my gastroenterologist and have had to increase meds. It may be stress, or the meds for afib...neither condition is under control at this point🤷???.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.