Af and PCI (stents)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on this forum before and have since had an Angiogram which I reported back as fine. They found I needed to have PCI and am having 2 stents fitted next week. Even though the procedure is similar and I know it does not hurt, I am still anxious because I am a bit OCD and do suffer from anxiety anyway. My other current worry is the post op. medication. At some point in the past I was told by one of the cardiac nurses that if stents are to be fitted, then you need to change to a new drug before and after the procedure. I think this could have meant stopping Warfarin (which you stop for 3 days before angiogram or PCI (angioplasty). But this is my question, and I cannot find anything about it, do they sometimes then continue with Warfarin as I still have AF? And will the Warfarin cover any prolblems with the stents settling in? Or should they be changing over to antiplatelet meds such as clopidogrel and if so, can they just substitute this for warfarin? and if so can they overlap so you are still protected at the change over. I do not know why they have not mentioned this??! Can anyone throw any light or has anyone had stents fitted recently who aslo has AF?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mick, I had a stent fitted and have AF. The doctors put me on Elloquis which is a blood thinner more modern than warferin. Warferin is rat poison.They also had me on Effient which is a stent lubricant and I had to take that only for 12 months. I have been taking this now for one year with no side effects besides the thin blood issue.

The Elloquis is prescribed so that the afib cannot form clots and cause a stroke which is the most dangerous side of afib.They tyold me I would have to be on Elloquis for the rest of my life.No problem, I would rather have that than a stroke.

• Posted

thanks Maurice for the quick reply. Thats 2 other things I will have to look up but I am not sure if these drugs are used in the UK or by the NHS.

• Posted

Hey MickE

This is Frank from the USA.  

I had stents put in because an angiogram indicated about 80% blockage in 2 major arteries.  I also had afib which is why I started to see a cardiologist in the first place. I never had any kind of heart pain or angina, etc.  A nurse once told me that the afib did me a favor - by alerting me that there might be some blockages before something severe took place, like a heart attack.

My afib, by the way was considered to be vagal, and only showed up at night after certain meals.  I now know what NOT to eat, and I also take an extra gram of magnesium citrate (in liquid form) to balance the electrolytes and there no longer is any afib.

That said, for a year I took plavix to prevent clotting after the stents were inserted.  That is just protocol here to allow the system to become acclimated to the stents, and for the rough patches to heal without causing any blood clots. 

Right after you get the stents you might have afib episodes for a few weeks, but they might dissipate with time and never appear again.

I am totally normal now - no pain, no afib, etc. but I make sure that I take the magnesium each day.  Low levels of magnesium are becoming epidemic here and that alone can be the cause of afib and heart palpitations in many people.

Goos luck - you are on the move to improvement.

• Posted

Thanks all. I went for pre assess today and they are stopping warfarin before stents fitting and staring me on clopidogrel + aspirin. As I am still in AF, I think I will also be on warfarin again as well, but they will tell me at the time.

Generally, I now feel more positive. I will report back when the 2 stents have been fitted (next Tuesday).

• Posted

well I had the PCI on Tuesday and I was in ther for 2 hrs, in the end they fitted 4 stents instead of 2. Had loads of Heparin and Quite a long exposure for X ray. But it was all needed as there was more damage to repair. They used the drug eluting type stents which stop growth on the stents which would caused blockages. I have been put on triple therapy for 1 month warfarin,aspirin and clopidogrel. Then drop the aspirin for the next 11 months, then aspirin and warfarin. (warfarin depends on AF condition, as may have a further DCCV).

All went well,no chest pain minor discomfort. Had to stay on trolley bed for 4 hrs after but a turn along the way and felt dizzy and blurred vision, Caused a bit of panic. I think they were worried it might have been a stroke but my blood pressure and heart rate had dropped. I was put on a drip due to dehygration and returned to normal. Speech a bit funny fr a few minutes. Also had a lot of the contrast(dye) in my system too. So I had to stay in abit longer to be carefully monitored. Glad it happened ther and not at home. Was allowed home later. Feel fine now. See how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.