AF arrhythmia returns after 2nd Ablation

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an ablation 5 years ago and was fine until the begining of this year , I had another ablation in September as the Af had eturned I was really good for 3 weeks after the ablation then I started getting tachycardia episodes , by the 4th week I had one episode that lasted a few hours each time it calmed down on its own , but has left me with like constant missed beats, the only way I can describe it is pauses in the heart beat which come thick and fast and last for hours at a time before giving me a short break before stating again.  It seems to get worse towards the evening .  I had a tape put on for 7 days and the surgeon has said on average its happening 180 times a day, but is not bad enough to warrent an ablation again .  Sometimes the pauses are making me feel like I am going to pass out , has anyone else experienced this after an ablation. 

The surgeon wanted to put me on Amiodarone for a couple of weeks to see if that would help to settle it and give it chance to heal , not sure what he meant by giving it chance to heal unless he meant the ablation as I only had that done 10 weeks ago. or possible for the electrical problem to calm down and stop.  But sadly I cant go on this medication as I have an allergy to Iodine .  So that s that out of the question , now I am being left high and dry stuck on  bisoprolol and omeprazole that really upsets my tummy .  Any help and advice would be apreciated .

I was hoping they would do the ablation again but sadly that looks like its not going to happen , I feel worse now than I did before as at least the Af was Paroxysmal, and I did get a break from it for a few days in between. I am feeling really upsett and anxious as this really is  interfering with my daily life and making me miserable .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole is supposed to calm your stomach. Some patiants have to accept Afib as a lifelong condition if ablation fails. You may be put on digoxin for rate control and warfarin to protect you from clots. Also as you are paroxysmal and not persistant it could correct itself. Bisoprolol can make you feel miserable too. I'm having ablation for Afib in new year. I also have dcm and v-tach. I have an ICD. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you WalterMcDonald I have been told that I am very sensitive to the AFib more so than others so yes I feel every missed beat and I panic which makes its worse.  When this first happened I was on Sotalol but came off all meds after the first Ablation. Until it came back at the bedining of the year then went on Bisoprolol . Do you really think this could correct itself, that at least gives me a small light at the end of the tunnel. I am just getting fed up with not being able to do much and fed up with feeling ill all the time. The surgeon did say if he could block it for a few weeks then stop the pills it may give it chance to heal but with not being able to take the tablets, its like he has given up , he never came back to me after that e mail . I just feel isolated with unanwered questions.  I did have private health care but hubby lost his job so I am back to NHS , the surgeon does do NHS but seems more reluctant than normal
  • Posted

Go back to your GP. NHS doctors have the same training as private. But you'll be in the waiting room with riff raff like me. It's not the end of the world as it is not a life threatening condition unless you get a stroke and Afib is on the increase because people are living longer. 10% of old people have it. Maybe you need a pacemaker. Did you have cardioversion (shock treatment). I had an active weekend and am now in bed with severe fatigue and anxiety. Cardioversion failed on me so we'll see if th ablation works in new year. Remember ablation is only 50-70% successful and maybe your private insurance refused to pay for repeated ablations (could this be possible).
    • Posted

No the private insurance paid for two ablations , but I dont have it any more ,  It was given to us while hubby worked for Nokia for 31 years but when he was made redundant we lost it.  But it served it purpose as before I had the first Ablation I had problems for 14 years with intermitant Afib and nothing got done on the NHS , so after 14 years of suffering I got an ablation done in thee matter of months
    • Posted

They have now suggested a pacemaker
  • Posted

Am so sorry to hear all this. What dosage of Bisoprol are you on? maybe that needs it be a it higher? are you on Warfarin or asprin to help prevent blood clots? I had the operation in May and so far, things have been going well but I do dread and fear what is happening to you.

have you made the surgeon aware of just how bad things are for you?

A friend of mine had the same trouble as me and the local hospital, under a general, gave him shock tratment an his heart is now regular.

I was due to have this done but as am also under Guys, they did the ablation instead.

Have you tried asking your doctor if you can have that?

I had the ablation 3 months after having keyhole heart surgery and I know they were not too keen on doing it so soon so am not too sure how long these things take but I would tend to think that the heart gets bruised by this and does need to heal

please ask your doctor for help

• Posted

Hi Audrey52560  I am only on 1.25 once a day but its not holding it they cant give me more as my bp drops too much, I have not been put on any anticoagulants as I bleed too much , as in it makes the veins pop in my eyes and everywhere else ,  I have so many allergies to medicine its a nightmare.

I have tried to make the surgeon aware of how bad I feel to the point that I was thinking of just taking the whole box of bisoprolol and stopping my heart completely , I am getting that deperate but he just said dont threaten me . I am at my witts end with this , I can not deal with it much longer , you may think thats a bit dramatic but I really have had enough , I am 54 years old and this has been on and off since it all started when I reached 40 ,

the 4 years relief I had was unbelievable , not saying it didn t have its problems but at least I could still work.

I am the only one working now as hubby got made redundant so its more important now than ever that I can work , so not sure if this is stressing me more and making it worse .

• Posted

They have now suggested a pacemaker
  • Posted

Anna, I am a patient with afib. A pacemaker is your next alternative. Many people live comfortable lives with a pacemaker. But concerning the heartbeat pauses. I had that as well and my cardiologist instructed that I stop all forms of cafien, no coffee(decaf is ok) or cafinated drinks like coka cola. That worked - withing a  day the beat pauses stopped.
  • Posted

Hi Anna, I really feel for you and I understand totally how you fee. I'm 62 and I had an Aortic Valve replacement 14 years and have had Persistant AF/Tachycardia for many years which has got staedily worse over the last year. I have had two Ablations and 4 Cardio Versions, noe of whch worked. I couldn't take Amioderone or Donderon but I'm on Warfarin, Digoxin and 10m (the daily max) of Bisoprolol. I've been in and out of hospital many times over the last year have  high load digoxin 1000m and Magesium drips to slow my hear down which aslo was pausing often while I slept. I had heart failure at the end of May. I got on a bus to the hospital Cardio clinic and insisted on seeing someone. Luckliy it was a doctor I knew, he offered another ablation which I refused, the he mentioned having a Pacemaker (which had previously been discussed) I said yes and the following day he called me saying they had a space to fill the following morning so I went and it's done. I feel better but this Wednesday the six week wait is up and they will check my Pacemaker and if all is okay the will do the connection the following week. Please consider a Pacemaker Anna, So may people have positive views of it and say it changes your life. I'm happ with that 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.