AF During Blanking Period Following My 2nd Ablation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello friends.  I just discovered this forum so wanted to post this question.  2 weeks ago I had my 2nd ablation.  My first was 4 years ago.  During this Ablation, the doctor felt very confident they had found a major source of the problem, and indicated as he burned the area, he saw my arrythmia go away.

I was just fine for 10 days or so.  This morning I woke up in a mild Afib episode.  My pulse is only about 70, but since I'm usually on Sotalol (both before and since the Ablation), my normal resting heart rate is about 50. 

Anyway, I'm trying not to get worried about being in Afib, as it seems to be somewhat normal following an Ablation, and 10 weeks is definitely within the "blanking period" where Afib should not be considered a reoccurrence requiring intervention. 

But my question is this.  To those of you who have experienced this, do the episodes go and come quickly?  Mine has lasted all day now, almost 15 hours.  It is mild, as I said, but of course just concerning because I'm hoping it won't last long.

I am 63, in generally good health, no underlying heart disease.  My first ablation kept me clear of Afib for 3 years, then I started to have fairly frequent episodes again.

Thanks for any information you can provide.  Glad I found this forum.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dave. I too stayed clear for 10 days after ablation 2. But sadly, for me, i settled back long term into that pattern. On a positive note, after that first episode post op, they became shorter and my pulse rarely topped 100bpm. Previously, my episodes were 12-15 hrs, but halved to around 5-7 hrs. I am recovering from my 3rd ablation currently which shifted focus from PVI to SVA. So far, ive managed just topside of 36 days episode free, but suspect im sliding back to my 10 - 14 day pattern sadly. I hope your "blip" was a one-off and you carry on with no more.

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  It's at least 24 hours.  Still a mild episode:  pulse is only about 75, no shortness of breath, just some anxiety as I know I'm in AF.

During your post-op AF episdoes, did you convert naturally?  That's what I'm hoping will happen.

• Posted

Yes, so far, Ive always reverted without intervention of any sort.
  • Posted

I've had two ablations.   After my recent one I had AF about 2 weeks after the operation.    I had it again about 3 months after the operation at the point I was told to stop the Flecanide.     Both episodes were different  - the first I beleive was fast heart but up to 140 whereas before op it could be 190+     The second on was erratic high and  low but both settled with pill in pocket dose of flecanide and staying calm  on both occasions I went to sleep and woke with it gone which was amazing.   I think the lesson I have learnt so far is don't assume there isn't an improvement whilst all this adjustment is going on.   Expect anything with AF.    I've now continued to get to the off the blood thinner stage and hope that I will feel a bit better soon.   Good luck with your journey. 

• Posted

Thanks so much.  It's very helpful to hear how others have handled this.  So glad I found this Forum.  Your comment not to assume there isn't improvement regardless of the post-op AF is heartening to me.

• Posted

Hi. I've had 2 ablations as well. Neither of them successful I'm afraid. After the second ablation I had an afib episode just 2 days after it. Still the same heart rate as before op. Was put on Cordarone last November and the medicine worked but came with a lot of side effects so decided to stop taking them. A few days after the afib episodes started again. Last afib was this Thursday. I always go the A&E when I get afib as it rarely goes away by itself. I had a heart rate of 170bpm this time. Waiting for the surgeon's decision on whether I am to get a Maze procedure done or not. Think that is my only option now to get rid of it. I am only 44 years old.

• Posted

Have you had to be cardioverted when in afib?  That heart rate is frightening, I am sure.  I will have to research the difference between the Maze procedure and the Ablation.  I believe the Maze procedure came along first, but I am not familiar with it.  Thank you for your input.
    • Posted

I have been cardioverted twice. Almost earlier this week as well but it went back to normal just an hour before cardiovertion was planned. The maze procedure is open heart surgery. They crack open the ribcage and make a maze on the outside of the heart for the electric impulses to follow. Long rehab though but mostly successful. After my last ablation I had afib at least twice a month for 3 months. Always a high heart rate as well which renders me useless!
    • Posted

Thank you for that additional information.  Yes, a high heart rate is impossible to deal with and live your normal life.  I wish you all the best if you decide to have the maze procedure.  Thank you again for sharing your experience with me.
    • Posted

Dave  You mention a heart rate of 170 to be frightening and it sounds as though if you had that you would be quite anxious.  Not saying you will but I am saying is that before last ablation I had heart rate 190+ and up to 240.    Granted there was a team of doctors staring at the screen when it was 240 but I was cardioverted with amiodarone drip.    Luckily when I get the AF I don't get anxious  (well outwardly anxious) it almost feels to me there is a build up to it and its a release and then relief.   Granted having had AF I get a lot of chest pain like a raw feeling and all sorts of internal aches but it always settles.      Every event follows the same pattern.  Yes a normal life is not lived but we have what we have and we have to work with it - which is very annoying.    After my last ablation I was told my pulse was likely to be higher post operativey and it was and settled then rose and settled after AF.    We all recover in different ways and I seem to take the slow path but bearing in mind that the only option is another operation when my consultant susses out what is happening 'now' I'm still going to stick to hoping that it will settle.   Now looking forward to what life will be like off the blood thinner which I stopped a couple days ago  I think there is a benefit but maybe I must not get too excited.   We can do it, 

• Posted

I see I have a lot to learn about what our bodies can tolerate.  Thank you for the information, kate07761.  It is greatly appreciated and well taken.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.