AF has become more frequent - dr wants me to start rivaroxaban

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I was diagnosed with paroxysmal AF in 2006 which was initially thought to be due an overactive thyroid as the test results showed I was in a hyperthyroid state. The same thing happened in 2015. However since November last year, my AF has started to occur more often - lasting up to four hours, but usually occurs for a few minutes everyday. I have been on 75mg aspirin daily since 2006. I went to the doctors last week and a blood test showed my thyroid function was normal but the AF is still occurring. The dr has referred me to a Cardiologist so am just waiting for my appointment. He's also asked me to stop the aspirin and start 20mg rivaroxban daily - I just wondered if any could offer any thoughts? The AF is quite distressing, and am aware of the risk of stroke.

Thanks,

Calli

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi Calli,

Riveroxaban is an anticoagulant as I'm sure you know, as is Aspirin.

I'm a 58 year old male, (born 1962, I'm guessing the same as you from your user name, it was a very good year) and I've been taking similar drugs (Initially Clopidogrel then Apixaban then Dabigatran) for at least five years and can't say I've noticed any side effects.

I was initially prescribed the Clopidogrel (I think, it was a while ago and it's all a bit hazy ) after suffering a TIA, a second one took me onto Apixaban and then when I was diagnosed with AF it was changed to Dabigatran. I do occasionally suffer heartburn with the Dabigatran bit have invested in industrial quantities of Rennies and that seems to be the solution.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the Riveroxaban, it's commonly prescribed in just your type of circumstances but as I have mentioned elsewhere I AM NOT A DOCTOR and any concerns you have should be addressed to your GP or Cardiologist but as someone who has been through a similar experience I would not be concerned.

Hope this helps.

• Edited

Hi Jason - thanks for your reply. - it's calmed my nerves about starting on rivaroxaban. It was the host of side effects that get mentioned that was putting me on edge. '62 was a good year.

Best wishes,

Calli.

• Posted

Blood thinner vs devastating stroke. I've been taking Apixaban for around 8 years. Some side effects, but nothing like what an AFIB stroke would be like.

• Posted

Blood thinner vs devastating stroke. I've been taking Apixaban for around 8 years. Some side effects, but nothing like what an AFIB stroke would be like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.