AF in young adults

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old female that was diagnosed with AF last year after I insisted I had a week long ECG tape! I had previously gone to my GP several times and they dismissed me saying that I was too young and it was probably just stress causing my attacks!

I was prescribed bisoprolol fumerate and after time this became less effective, I was offered a cardiac ablation and decided to give it a go. I had my ablation in March this year and I experienced some discomfort (sore throat, chest pain, lots of bruising) I came off of the bisoprolol after the ablation for roughly 5 weeks when surprise surprise I was hospitalised for two days because the AF was back! I was put back on bisoprolol and it felt like I was back where I started!

June 7th 2013 was my follow up appointment with my consultant and this was the day I was meant to be taken off of warfarin for good! Obviously this did not happen as the AF is back and I am due to have another ablation in the very near future. Apparently it's just a repair one and they don't have to do the whole thing all over again, just an ablation to patch things up!

I just wanted to share my story as I haven't met or spoken to anybody that is a similar age to me and suffering with the same condition

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 20 and was diagnosed with AF 6 months ago was put on bisprolol 1mg and was gradually increased to g which I have been on for 2 weeks but I am having side effects of tiredness headaches muscle aching and flu like symptoms, I have been booked in for an ablation but I am petrified as I have white coat syndrome and afraid of needles. I just wanted an honest opinion of what the ablation was like ? As I have not talked to any one who has had one. Thanks alot Nikki
  • Posted

To be honest I was petrified too!! I cried for pretty much the whole morning!

I turned up at the hospital and they booked me in, they put a canula in my hand and I signed my consent forms. I got changed into the gown and I walked to theatre. They then made me sign some more forms and then I got onto the bed. They start off with putting a camera down your throat which was the worst part. They sedated me before hand but i woke up while it was down my throat and it was a little uncomfortable. They just gave me some more sedation and I went back to sleep. I did wake up a few times while they were doing the actual ablation but it wasn't a bad experience, I just felt a little uncomfortable and felt a bit of pressure in my chest. Once they noticed I was awake they just gave me more sedation! I was wheeled back to the ward and I pretty much slept till they took the tubes out of my groin, expect a lot of bruising!!!

All in all it's not a bad experience, I'm having it done for the second time soon so it can't be that bad! It's definately worth going through it to get off of the bisoprolol! Your only young and you don't want to be on tablets for the rest of your life. Hope this helps smile any more questions just ask.

• Posted

Thanks for that its good to hear what actually happens. I'm hopping they can do it through my forearm instead of groin cause I need to get back to horse riding after a couple of days.
  • Posted

Hopefully they can do it through your arm then, but they do advise you to rest for about a week afterwards. I was still quite breathless and very worn out for a few days after (I think this is because the heart is just trying to recover) and you can't drive for at least 48 hours! Anyway let me know how things go.
  • Posted

Hi im a 22 yr old who had a successful AF ablation 7 months ago. Im just wondering how you feel as a younger person after the procedure. You see although I feel better since having the procedure, I feel deep down like a old person or like the "young" enthusiasm for life has been zapped out of me. It is not like depression but more physiological like not having the over drive. Once I have run out of energy I can not push myself further or I get more tired and don't have the energy to fight it. Or like if I was to be in a serious car accident, I wouldnt have the energy to fight to live because my body feels old, even though in my mind I still have the will too. It is hard to explain. But I would love to hear how other younger people feel after their operation in regards to this.
  • Posted

Hi, see my discussion 'Taurine works wonders for me'. under Conditions A. Give it a go, it works for me.
  • Posted

Did they not prescribe Amiodarone for your AF. That is one of the standard but nasty drugs for it.

I initially had a cardioversion that did not work and then drugs for three months before a second successful cardioversion.

What is the benefit of ablation compared to cardioversion

• Posted

Hi I am a 19 year old male, I have been having episodes of very high heart rythm upto 180/200 bpm for nearly 2 years, I requested ecg and 7 day tracing, I was told it was stress but I dissagreed. After seeing a big

episode an ambulance was called I didnt go to hospital but went to see my docter again with the paramedics report I then got reffered to darent valley hospital where I was told that I have suspected af. The cardiologist has now reffered me to kings college im no awaiting an appointment from them. When I have episodes I find it takes all my energy. It restricts me from what I can do as just walking can sometimes set off an episode.

I have read alot of info on the net but it has scared me a bit saying that it is very rare and unusual in people my age, I am wondering what you have experienced and treatment you have had.

• Posted

My heart rate has never gotten that high. You definitely should get continued treatment. Their are meds that help A Fib. I take them.

You want to ask your doctor about taking a blood thinner or two. There is the low dose aspirin and also Pradaxa.. I take booth to prevent a stroke.Warfinin is another med to thin blood

• Posted

Hi, i know this post was 4 years ago. But i have been looking through researching afib and atrial flutter/palpatations. I first noticed my heart issues when i was in 7th or 8th grade. Went to hospital in the ambulance felt like i was having a heart attack, but nothing came of it. Ever since ive been find except for the past 2 years. Ive been to so many drs and cardiologists all to tell me nothing is wrong. But i know my body better than anybody. So i knew something wasnt right with my heart. I recently had a catheter ablation. And they diagnosed me with atrial flutter and alittle afib. Dr said he was shocked to see the atrial flutter in someone my age (26) male. I thought after the procedure i was feeling better. As of writing this post its been alittle over 2 months. About 9 weeks since. Amd have been getting worse off than i was before. So im in the works of trying to get in touch with my ep dr and trying to schedule another ablation to hopefully fix the issue. Any update on your condition since you last wrote this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.