AF triggers

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm just trying to find out some of my AF triggers. At the moment I've found it's exercise and stress when it's at its worse. I used to be an active footballer (soccer player) for 7 years. 

What is everyone elses triggers, out of curiousity? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some people get it relaxing and others with stress and exercise. I usually get it when craving a drink. I'm an alcoholic and never go into it during a booze binge, it is always the next morning or afternoon,with the shakes and sweats. 

Have you tried magnesium supplements?

• Posted

Hi . Mine are preservatives. Food with preservatives takes up to 24 hrs to put me in AF. Fluids only a few hrs.
  • Posted

Alcohol.caffeine,too much sugar especially chocolate but mostly stress or getting overtired! Quite a few triggers really.
  • Posted

Thanks all.. it all makes sense now. Doctors say that exercise is good for the heart, but it always brings on  AF - so is it really that good?

Also, Terence, no I don't take magnesium supplements, I take B9 & B12 supplements and currently take 9 tablets a day.

• Posted

Maybe you need to take moderate exercise? Are you over 40 now?  

And take magnesium and make sure you're well hydrated.  

And just in case, steer clear of the hooch, it can only make things worse :-) 

• Posted

I'm 17. I exercise moderately and have to pay the price of discomfort after, all the time! I don't drink alcohol or smoke and hardly have energy drinks lol.

• Posted

Hi XoMonkey,  With me it's my Hiatus Hernia which can slide up through the hole in my diagphragm and trigger the AFib off. But, however, since the GP upped my dosage of Bisoprolol to 10mg I've had no problems. Only that I feel like zombie sad  

• Posted

5mgs makes me feel like that, I can only imagine waht 10mgs would feel like. 
    • Posted

Yes yes yes,my hiatus hernia is my problem,I have to be very careful with my diet and avoid getting indegestion
    • Posted

I'm the same also, I avoid wheat and dairy as they can make me bloat plus I'm on Warfarin sad  

• Posted

Sounds like you have an electrolyte imbalance, since everyhting that triggers your episodes also cauuse the secretion of important electrolytes - magnesium and potassium.

In the USA, daily magnesium is listed as a minimum of 400 mg/day, but for potassium, and this is a shocker, it is 5 grams/ day.

To get 5 grams/ day of potassium you'd need to each 10 bananas and 10 avocados lol.

Really - all you need is the adequate levels of magnesium and potassium,. and most folks would nmot have afib - ever.

Problem is - if you do not enpough potassium and magnesium, then sodium and callcium will take their places, and that is where all hell brakes loose. The problem further is that calcium and sodium are everywhere.

Frank

• Posted

I've had all blood tests and they all came back normal regarding imbalances except B9 and B12 deficient which i've been taking supplements for about 6 months now.

• Posted

Those blood tests are absolutely not acurate.

You need to have intracelular levels of magnesium and potassium tested, not the serum levels. The tests for magnesium and potassium are incorrectly done on the serum levels (because its a cheap test).

Better yet, go on a diet that has high levels of magnesium and potassium, and see what happens.  It will not happen immediately, but within a week or 2. The Mediterranean diet is good for that - NO SUGAR! and lots of plants and nuts  that have lots of magnesium and potassium.

Stay away from coffee, alcohol, sugar and stress, mental or physical, because they cause you to pee out your magnesium and potassium causing the imbalance.

Frank

• Posted

You should check with your doctor or pharmacist about taking Potassium with whatever cardiac medication you are taking. Having too much Potassium can kill you!!! Having too much Magnesium just gives you diarrhoea. When l was on Sotolol my Dr said not to eat bananas. Just because you can buy minerals over the counter doesnt mean they are safe. Take care please.
    • Posted

True - too much of anything, including air, can kill you; but so can too little. Without a doctor's advice we can at least make sure we are getting the RDA amount of potassium and magnesium especially since this fellow is an athlete, young and under a doctor's care..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.