Affected driving

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering if the menopause has affected anyone's driving, I once drove anywhere but now do not drive on dual carriageways as it seems to affect my balance and then I start to panic, had balance and ear tests done but all ok, feel like I've lost part of my life..Thinking about some counselling to see if I can overcome this. Any ideas ? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angi - Yep the menopause has effected my driving, I have even misjudged turning right and clipped the front of my car, forgot when parked that I had a metal barrier in front of me and drove into it.  I am fine now I am on HRT thank the universe! 
  • Posted

Dear angi

Yes two of my friends in menopause had driving issues, one wont drive on motorways or a certain big roundabout in our town and the other who doesnt drive hates being locked in a car. I had a bad panic attack once while driving to work on my own and another time I was driving my dad to hoapital and I had a bad panic attack (which I thankfully manage to hide from him) but it was so scary. I think it was the long road I was on (which wouldnt normally worry me on my own) but having someone there made me panic like if I wanted to stop I couldn't becothey would wonder why! Driving around town doesnt worry me, I think it affects us in different ways like when i'm swimming I like to swim close to the steps (it didnt bother me before menopause) x

• Posted

I'm not in meno but in peri meno and yes it has affected my driving. I am just now after two years getting used to driving again and I am still a bit nervous and won't go on certain roads. I can do local driving with no problem, but long roads I cannot do unless someone is with me. I have had many bad panic attacks while driving. I wish I could give you some advice but I can tell you, you are not alone. 

• Posted

Panic and nervousness associated with menopause can certainly do that. Try deep breathing and meditation. If that doesn't help, try Progesterone Cream

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.