Afib

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have heard that stomach issuers contribute to afib has anyone heard of that

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, diana95576,

Good question and the answer is yes. There are some serious gastrointestinal diseases associated with aFib (reflux, irratable colon). Here the connection is clear cut. BUT often we have mild clinical simptomes (blowing, belch etc) and we have the impression that these simptomes may trigger aFib. The problem, that hard to proof it, more research should be done. Until this connection is not fully clearyfied the patient experience is extremely important. Certainly you will get here lot of replays with relevant suggestions. Worth to try them. Spicy food, alcohol very often can provocate afib. Sometimes personalised diet may help. What is also very valuable, your own experince. You may observe which food is not good for you.

My personal experience: I have silent flutter (flutter without symptoms and complains). Therefore I follow my state a wearable ECG. I see that my flutter is initiated by supraventricular ectipics (PACs). A see that ususally I got the flutter after food. I feel that may stomach is bloated, but I can't proof that the ectopics are initiated by the bloating. I have only one exact evidence for the stomach  afib connection - this is the eise cream. If I eat eise cream I got flutter (presumably because of cooling down my stomach). If I stop, then after 5-10 mins the flutter is terminated. If I continue the ice cream, the flutter returns. The effect is repeatable.

All the best:

Gyorgy

• Posted

If you look at most of the discussions on here you will see that a lot of people have food triggers going on.    No one really knows what causes AF and it could well be different for all of us.     The heart consultants don't talk a lot about the triggers they deal with the AF and controlling it.     If you are seeing two consultants at same time ie heat and gastro it is impossible to get them to talk to one another.   The sensation of my AF when it blows is in the stomach/throat area.      From the discussion you will see people with long term AF are better is they don't drink alcholol   - watch their diet and for many the Fodmap diet works/helps.    AF is not a one size fits all but anything to keep the AF calm is of course a benefit. 

• Posted

Absolutely - and to me stomach issues CAUSE most cases of afib.

Frank

• Posted

I'm in permanet AF but seldom notice it. I had digestive issues on Monday and a hot flush with chest discomfort that had my heart beating like a hammer and BP off the scale. I tried to sit it out all day and then took a bisoprolol but called 999 at 6pm . They did an ECG and took me to A&E who did the usual tests as it settled down and said it was not a heart attack and let me go after six hours.

Yesterday was OK but It had previously been arranged for me to have a 24 hour BP monitor. Initial readings were in the low/normal range but high first thing this morning and my GERD started up again triggering my noticeable heart rate.

Lack of sleep is also a trigger for me and Sunday and last night were bad ones.

• Posted

Sorry to hear all that.

Please remember, GERD is not caused by excess stomch acid but a faulty "lower esophageal sphincter" aka LES. Stomach acid comes up into the esophagus due to a weak LES and all hell can break loose, including afib.

The vagus nerve that controls heart rate passes from the stomach to the brain passing right next to the heart and if the stomach iritates the vagus nerve, then afib can result.

For many I think, food triggers for afib also act by weakening the LES.

Frank

• Posted

Thank you for that info, so interesting as I have GERD and on omeprazol!  Gonna ask my cardio about this on my next appt.  all the best to you all.  be strong.  
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia as far back as 1983 and  had two duodenal ulcers in the 1990s. The rest of the time I have functional indigestion.

My first AF was triggered by my aortic valve replacement. The next two were triggered by my vagus nerve being stimulated once by the probe during a colonoscopy and the present one by a DRE. 

• Posted

An AF nurse told me that some can go into AF by passing a large hard stool that stimulates the vagus nerve.
    • Posted

Yeah - I've heard a lot of that too, and they all seem to make some sense, especially when that damn vagus nerve gets involved. Seems like you have/had a lot of pressure put on your LES and the vagus nerve, with the hernia and the ulcers.  All bad luck but all you can do is try to stay ahead of the afib if there are any and beat it at its own game.

Best

Frank

• Posted

If you google that you will find that is believed to be true.    I googled after the ambulance man taking me to A&E mentioned that is how Elvis died and when I looked it up it seems so.  I think he mentioned someone else but I just remember Evis.     If you get constipated obviously worth softening the product to avoid that one!  

• Posted

I had another Barium Swallow last month as I refuse to have an OGD. Report said no evidence of abnormality in the upper oesophagus or pharynx. No dysmolity but evidence of hiatus hernia and gastr oesophageal reflux. There was a slight suspicion of scarring in the pyloric region although it was not definite.

The swallow was on December 6th done at a private hospital as an NHS patient and I just got the result today. When I phoned the consultants PA before Christmas she had not realised they had not had the report.

Actually the Guy who did the X-Ray has similar symptoms to me and also does not fancy an OGD nor does my GP. My uncle who had angina and a doctor at the last practice I went to both went into cardiac arrest and died during theirs.

• Posted

I mentioned that to the ward sister when I was having my pacemaker fitted. She said that she has seen a lot of patients stagger out of the toilet in AF after passing a hard stool. She of course found it amusing:-)

• Posted

Movicol is a wondrous thing  - will sort that out.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.