Afib

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've had Afib for a year, my doctor did a Cardiac Ablation on me 3 weeks ago and it didn't stop my erratic heartbeat . So I ended up with a pacemaker! Feeling much better!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pacemaker, hmm, is that where this all leads?  I just never heard it laid out like that ... or never thought it through.

​Congratulations, and thanks.

• Posted

why a pacemaker? I guess every case is individual...crazy condition for sure. 
    • Posted

Dear betty47298, my heatrate was 100 and then a sudden drop to 43 after my cardiac ablation I had 2 weeks prior that the doctor said wasn't working!

• Posted

Pacemakers are used for brachycardia - very low (not high) or pausing heart rate - not to fix a-fib.  There is a blanking period (of 3 months) after ablation where the heart is settling down.  I think you may be feeling better as time goes by because of the ablation rather than the pacemaker.  Hopefully the ablation will put your afib into remission for a long time, which is the most we can hope for, since afib is never really cured.
    • Posted

Yes Suzanne 48640 but in my case after my 2nd week after my ablation and my heart rate from 100 to sudden drop to 43 my doctor decided to give me a pacemaker! I feel 95% better!!
    • Posted

Hard to explain any of this to others. no quick fix..sometimes does work..whatever methods. other times not..you never know..
  • Posted

Have had Defibrillator that also paces for 4 years due to V-Tac and CHF diagnosis.  Recently had 1st bout with A-fib and had electrical cardioversion last month.  They set it to pace at 80 bpm.  Did your pacemaker stop the A-fib?

• Posted

Dear DLee my doctor informed me that cardiac ablation is not for everyone. If someone has afib all the time it will not work!
    • Posted

I had an Electrical Cardioversion......not an Ablation.  So far it has stopped the Afib.  There are so many variables with heart issues....it's mind boggling.  Happy Holidays.

• Posted

Glad you are feeling better.  Seems to me there are so many forms of arrhythmia and not a fix for all.  I've had paroxysmal af, and had 2nd ablation 6 weeks ago, still getting attacks, (3 now since procedure and lots of misbeats) My battle continues!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with afib two yrs ago after radiation therapy for breast cancer.  Was having afib episodes several times a week until I passed out, hit my head, taken to ER, admitted to hospital and received a pacemaker for sick sinus syndrome. This was 6 months ago and have only had 2 or 3 afib episodes during this time.  I also feel better and can at least function now.
  • Posted

I had (or should I say have) Paroxysmal AF, and lately the bouts have been getting more frequent and debillitating. I had cryoablation (in Edinburgh) just eight days ago - it went smoothly and I have every hope that it will do the trick.Mind you, today I woke up with AF, but I was warned that odd bouts might pop up in the first month. Here's hoping!

(From what I can tell, cryoablation seems to have several advantages over radio-frequency ablation, which is the better-established procedure. Though I assume cryoablation is not always appropriate.)

• Posted

Could anyone describe to me what there afib feels like because I've been having what I thought was an svt for 2 months now but now I think it's could be someone worse because I get a weird tickling sensation in my chest when it happens. I'm only 18 and my Dr or mum won't take me seriously and thinks everything is ok. A rapid heart rate that's starts for no reason isn't ok. Just Wana get to the bottom of it.

• Posted

When I have episodes of afib, I sweat, nausea, dizzy and cold.
    • Posted

Do you get a weird tickling heartbeat with it. I also get hot and dizzy.
    • Posted

I have had Afib for a good 8 years, rapid irregular heartbeat, uncomfortable to lie on back or left 

usually get during night. Next morning feel poorly and sit doing nothing until body recovers.

now approaching 7 weeks since second Ablation. Still had several af attacks and now ectopic beats! Tachy type episodes too, flutters ,

• Posted

Adam, the "good" news is that a lot of this stuff does turn out to be harmless.  And it also turns out that a lot of it is difficult for doctors to diagnose correctly. 

?I've had some wild stuff triggered by diet (!) since I was about 18, it just took me ten years to figure out it was curry sauce, or Chinese chili sauce, that set it off.  Now I'm a lot older and I have a bunch of different and constantly changing symptoms, doctors can't catch it with instruments and mostly shrug at the descriptions and actually it's a real bother - but I'm still standing, so they're not entirely wrong.

?The symptoms can vary wildly.  I also had some tachycardia (fast heartbeat) at rest, which I took to be hypoglycemia but now, I think that was never the case.

?So where does that leave things for you?  Well, ... I'd still fight for a real diagnosis, but there is a fair chance that even if they catch it all on an ekg, they will shrug and tell you it's harmless.

• Posted

Never had anything that I'd describe as "tickle", or wait a minute, I do get something I write down as "AR0", which is that it feels like it's *about* to do something funky, but I can't detect it in my pulse.

?At its worst I get a slight feeling of disorientation, whether that's physical or psychological is really hard to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.