Afib

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recurring episodes of Afib recently been depressed and also having anxiety attacks which seem to set off my As fib. My GP prescribed me Amitriptyline to control my anxiety and depression but according to the instructions the possible side effects are decreased heart rate. So l am unsure whether l should take them. I also have a low heart beat. Resting at 48.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi not sure where you are, or whether you are in lockdown or not, I am in NZ and I have the same problems that you have, I am on the normal medicines for the AF and because I have had really bad side effects from some pills I now look up anything new and if they say there are side effects I will not take them. I think some side effects are worse than just trying to deal with it, why I asked you if you were on lockdown is going for a walk can do amazing things for you and take your mind of things just give it a try if you can and if u can't try doing some exercises in the home, far better for you than Amitriptiline. Not sure if this will help but it worked for me. Moira.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I am in Scotland and we are in lockdown. I can go out for a brief walk but have been keeping inside most of the time due to some other health issues. I think trying to manage without taking more medication is the best option but when l am having an attack it is difficult to think positive. I am waiting on a hospital appointment to try and get to the root of my other health issue which is causing me to have serious anxiety issues.

• Posted

I have suffered from chronic anxiety for many years, off and on. My AF (although Drs haven't named it, but I call it that!) started last September; Doc sent me to hospital because my ECG was 'awful'. In A&E they did all the checks, bloods, echograph etc, sent me home saying there was nothing significant, but to come back for a 'Holter' to wear for 24 hours, noting any flutters. After this, the cardiologist said he couldn't see anything really amiss (despite my having noted the flutters for him). Reassuring, but it didn't stop the AF, which is still going on today, although some days now seem pretty OK to be honest. When it's bad, it's like a flip flop turning over in my chest - every few minutes: awful & scary. I have been given no meds, just a sort of 'live with it' attitude!

The reason I am replying to you is that I THINK my anxiety is/has caused it. When I am not too anxious about stuff, it seems definitely better; I am pretty sure there is a link in my case. I may start doing yoga or something.

This lockdown (I'm a Brit living in France) doesn't make me anxious: I like the fact there will be no surprise visitors, or that I don't have to go to people's houses, etc (social anxiety) and it is during this time that I have noticed the slight improvement. Strange.

Absolutely no help to you, sorry, but the word 'anxiety' resonated. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Mr Beese your symptoms are very similar to my own and the responce from doctors has been same. Although l have been diagnosed with Afib it did not show on the latest ECG l had done last week and although l was shaking internally from the anxiety this did not show either.

I am now trying some over the counter herbal rescue remedy in the hope that it works.

• Posted

That's funny I am Scottish from a place in Fife called Lochgelly. We are in lockdown too but can go for walks or a drive for essentials thank goodness. Trouble is with the lockdown it might take longer for a hospital appointment but hopefully not. Glad you decided not to take anymore pills. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi,

I'll give you my AF symptons to compare with what you think is your AF.

I get events 7-8 times a month.

I've had it for close to 20 years.

My episodes can last up to 12 hours.

My heart rate can go to 180+

I get chest pain, nausea, arm pain, jaw pain and dizziness and can faint.

An ECG can show you are in AF.

Some years ago I suffered anxiety, and my heart rate would skyrocket and I would get short of breath and feel like I was having a heart attack. but it is a totally different feeling to AF.

AF is a heart condition.

Anxiety is also a condition, but not heart related.

Hope this helps in some way.

Keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.