Afib ablation but still have some symtopms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys just a question about the ablation because I had mine done 3 years ago. I get symtopms like my heart wants to go into a fib like it slows down my heart beat and my heart stops then it goes back and forth then I'm back to normal? And I still have skip beats that feel like afib but they don't last long. Just curious if anyone feels like that? But again they don't last long can it be what you eat? It weird I don't get all the time maybe a few months a time

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hey.

i have had two ablations done in the last 4 years. Both have failed though. i was pretty much symptom free for about 3 months then it started again. Just like you said, it's like the heart is trying to go into afib but doesn't quite make it. 2 weeks ago it did however suceed in going into afib. Lasted about half an hour and then when back to normal. Now i am waiting on an answer to see if i can get a Maze procedure done instead of ablation. Hope so and then probably be rid of this pain in the a"# wink

• Posted

what was ablation like? I am fearful of it.
    • Posted

Nothing to it. they put you to sleep during the procedure and then wake up when they are finished. Either the same day or the day after you go home. The afib can still be present for a month or two afterwards. So nothing to be afraid off. smile
    • Posted

would you do it if you had no symptoms but afib shows up a lot on monitors..fear letting it go and will just worsen until one day nothing can be done. Most people I know have symptoms..
    • Posted

How can afib show up on monitors but have no symptoms? Sounds a bit strange to me. If you aren't having any trouble from your afib perhaps wait with the ablation. although the ablation itself is not intrusive so there isn't any problem getting it done. Two small holes on your inner thigh is all you will see afterwards! How old are you if i may ask? You will probably get blood thinners if you don't already have some. Without any medication you might get blood clots or a stroke. I get the ablation done either way. Hope this helps your decision. Unfortunately my ablations haven't worked out and i feel that a third one probably won't help so i am trying to get the Maze procedure instead as the success rate is a bit higher. But the Maze is quite a bit operation and the rehab is quite long. Work it to get rid om my afib though. My afib is quite strong and renders me useless! 

• Posted

There are people who have it with no symptoms. Maybe that is worse. It showed up when I had another procedure for something else. I have had many monitorings .think it is getting worse but hard to compare as data is for different lengths of time. Maybe it appears when I exert myself such as dance or go up inclines but I only felt that racing heart many many years ago. I thought then anxiety. Mid seventies. I am on blood thinners and meds to slow my heart. Conficted over rhtyhm drugs as been told some dangerous and only work for a certain amount of time.. Been told afib weakens heart..lessens how long you live...I feel for people who do suffer symptoms..
    • Posted

Well i think you should get the ablation done. There are rarely any side effects from it. smile
    • Posted

No probs. Like i said the procedure is a breeze smile

Hope it all works out for you.

• Posted

Hi. I have had my third ablation in 18 months. First was some 75% successful, second sorted the pulmonary side out fully but i was still having episodes which was annoying. Had a 7 day monitor on then doc felt potential for more surgery. Had third in Feb this year and apparently was the area of my SVC causing issues. Must say, this third has taken me longer to recover, and i have still been symptomatic, but still within my 3 month blanking currently. Trying to get fitter slowly and crossing everything this one has sorted me! Yes, some foods trigger me too. Im watching sugary stuff currently. Had an issue with yogurt recently - changed brands (special offer!). Every time i ate one, some 20 mins later felt fluttery and did have several episodes. Didnt realise why at first, then discovered massively higher sugar than previous - 25% infact. Checked others, mostly around 12-15%. Changed back to previous brand, and seem ok again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.