AFib and fever of unexplained origin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started having Afib at the age of 60 (female). We did all available tests and everything came normal. However AFib attack started becoming more frequent.

After about one month of onset of AFib I started having a mysterious fever. Sonography and CAT scans didn't show anything.

However my condition worsened and it became morally depressing. AFib + unexplained high grade fever. After about 3 months I visited an infectious disease expert who ordered another sonography.

The sonologist, did a detailed sonography lasting 2 hours however did not find anything. But he did remark that there was a very small air pocket in my lower abdomen.

I had almost given up hope but to close out every possible angle we did one more cat scan focused on the air pocket. The scan revealed an unexplained mass of 8 cm x 8 cm. It had adhesions to intestine. Biopsy was ruled out given the location.

Only option was to operate and take a sample during operation to the lab to check for carcinoma. I was operated, and it was found to be tuberculosis!!!

The doctor said this was the first case he had seen in 30 years of AFib as a symptom for TB.

After the mass was removed, TB medication was started.

It's been 2 months now and I have stopped taking my AFib medication and am on TB medicines.

AFib incidences have stopped and overall everything looks fine after 6 harrowing months.

Thanks for the community for helping and keeping my morale up.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Remarkable story, congratulations - and thanks for sharing!
  • Posted

Goodness! Very interesting story, and all the best now with your new treatments. I just hope that many of our Cardiologists out there read these forums to see the many differing causes, symptoms and outcomes we all share!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.